DIY: Drive Axle Flange Seal Replacement

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

DIY: Drive Axle Flange Seal Replacement

Post by Op-Ivy »

I recently replaced the drive axle flange seals on my '90 TD. Did the first one last week and the driver's side one (harder one) this week. Thought I would take some pics in case anyone else decides to embark on this task as well. :)

The part number required for the seal kit: 020 498 085 G
It comes with a new seal, a new plug and a new "C" clip.

It is important (as always) to take note of which way parts come out.

Let us begin.

*Volkswagon designed a tool to be able to compress the flange spring down in order to remove the C clip. When they did this they used a 9mm threading which means having to either find a 9mm bolt that is long enough and threaded the entire way up (good luck) or buying the VW tool. I used a nearly imperial equivalent in the tool I made.

-a 6 or 7 inch long carrier bolt with a 3/8 of an inch threading
-3 nuts with a 3/8 threading and 5/16 head size
-a washer
-a very strong piece of metal with a hole drilled in to allow the bolt to pass through

I recommend using a piece of metal roughly the same size as mine. There is an large amount of strain on it. It MUST be sturdy.

The car must be jacked up off the ground a good foot on the driver side. Use jackstands and proper safety when doing so.

1. Start taking the 12 point bolts off. Can't remember what size they are but it is not hard to figure out. Make sure you clean out the heads before you try to undo them. They will have a lot of gunk/dirt in them that will make them easy to strip.

2. Turn the front wheel to expose each 12 point bolt from the bottom of the axle shaft. When undoing them you need to have the wheel secured for them to be able to turn without the whole axle spinning. You will need to lower the car a certain amount to be able to slide the bolts past the CV joint boot. This is easier to do, as I have, with two people.

3. You now remove the bolts that adjust the camber on the driver's side wheel. This will change your alignment. It is important to mark the position of the allignment bolts to prevent needing to get it realigned... The three bolts are right under the outer CV boot, shown here

and a little more easily, here.

4. You should now be able to swing the CV joint and boot down away from the flange. It will most likely take some outward pushing of the wheel. It's a good idea to cover the boot in a plastic bag to avoid getting grunge from the undercarriage into the grease inside. I used a nylon rope to hold the axle shaft up and out of the way(for the most part).

5. The flange should now be exposed. The plug in the middle can be pried out with force because the kit comes with a new one. Be careful not to gouge the flange though! :wink:

6. The plug has been taken off and the inner shaft coming from inside the transmission is now visible. You can see the C clip in the shaft's lip (the open part is facing the left). The threaded part that you insert your tool into is the inside of the shaft. It will make more sense momentarily.

7. Insert two of the 12 point bolts originally pulled out. This will allow for some extra leverage when working inside.

8. The tool in action. Using the two nuts at the top, thread the bolt to the end of the inner shaft threading(it goes in approx. a centimeter). Now use the other nut to drive the piece of metal onto the 12 point bolts towards the flange. This will compress the flange allowing room to remove the C clip. CAUTION: THE FLANGE AND TOOL ARE NOW UNDER A LARGE AMOUNT OF PRESSURE!!! Be extremely careful when threading the nut down as a slip of the piece of metal could cause injury!

9. Now with the flange completely compressed, the C clip should be relatively moveable.

10. Using a pair of "C clip plyers" (plyers that work inverse to regular plyers) spread the clip and pull it out. Mine are shown here.

11. The C clip removed.

12. The flange is now able to be pulled out. Along with it will come the hefty spring and a cap on top of the spring. A bronze ring should come as well. Sorry I don't have a picture of it. But here is the opening after the flange is removed and as you can see from this picture transmission oil will probably pour out.

13. The parts lined up. From left to right(with replacements below):
Seal, Cap, Spring, Flange, (non bronze) O ring, C clip, Plug

14. Now reverse the previous steps. Insert the new seal into the opening, insert the bronze o ring, cap, spring, flange.

-Now the hard part... Thread the tool in with the seal and new C clip in the appropriate order.

-Continue to thread the nut down to compress the flange down allowing room for the clip to inserted. Using the "plyers" get the C clip back into the groove without spreading it too much. Spreading it too much will make it fall off when you go to release the pressure from the flange spring. Even if it doesn't fall off right away make sure it is on there tightly! If it were to come off while driving I'm sure it would not paint a pretty picture....

-The way I did it both times was spreading the clip and putting the closed end side on the inner shaft lip and then prying the open ends into the lip one at a time, holding the opposite end with my finger.

15. The plug back in with some silicone to keep a tight seal.

16. Now would be a good time to regrease your CV joint :D. Insert the axle shaft back into the flange and align the 12 point bolts up and thread them in.

17. Insert the allignment bolts back into their respective holes. Make sure to line up your marks carefully!

18. I lost a lot of oil so I decided to just drain the tranny and refill it with fresh oil. Lost probably a good half a litre in all. :D

And that should be it! Very time consuming, especially the C clip parts. But I'm sure more cost effective than taking it to a shop! If you have any questions or comments post or feel free to message me!

Hopefully we can make this a sticky or put it in a DIY section or something 8)

-Matt
Last edited by Op-Ivy on Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Excellent DIY.... very nicely done, and the pictures are great. Before long we'll have the entire Bentley covered here.

The only thing I do (slightly) differently is that I remove the upper ball joint bolt rather than the three ball joint mounting bolts... one bolt rather than three and that particular bolt doesn't impact alignment. You do have to pry down on the control arm a bit (luckily there's a hole there for a pry bar... clever Germans) so the three mounting bolts might be easier for some.

Also depends which bolts are rusted the most !!!

One other thing I learned the hard way is to check the flange for wear... as these cars are getting old sometimes the flange will wear where the seal is... if the wear is bad you'll do all this work and it will still leak. I've read you can cheat and not press the seal in all the way in this case, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Again, great DIY !!!

Vince
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

tranyu flange

Post by Fatmobile »

Thanks for taking the time to write this up,... pictures and all.
Remember to make a post in the ganeral fora's FAQ thread and leave a link.
So you didn't have any trouble pulling the old seal? They can come out hard sometimes.
Only things I can add are:
The bolts aren't allenhead bolts. They are 12 point/triplesquare/xzn head.

When I pull the axle off I bolt a spare trany flange to it. I have been saving spare trany flanges to cover spare axle ends during storage.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Re: tranyu flange

Post by Op-Ivy »

Vincent Waldon wrote:Excellent DIY.... very nicely done, and the pictures are great. Before long we'll have the entire Bentley covered here.

The only thing I do (slightly) differently is that I remove the upper ball joint bolt rather than the three ball joint mounting bolts... one bolt rather than three and that particular bolt doesn't impact alignment. You do have to pry down on the control arm a bit (luckily there's a hole there for a pry bar... clever Germans) so the three mounting bolts might be easier for some.

Also depends which bolts are rusted the most !!!

One other thing I learned the hard way is to check the flange for wear... as these cars are getting old sometimes the flange will wear where the seal is... if the wear is bad you'll do all this work and it will still leak. I've read you can cheat and not press the seal in all the way in this case, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Again, great DIY !!!

Vince
Very good points. Thanks for the input!

Fatmobile wrote:Thanks for taking the time to write this up,... pictures and all.
Remember to make a post in the ganeral fora's FAQ thread and leave a link.
So you didn't have any trouble pulling the old seal? They can come out hard sometimes.
Only things I can add are:
The bolts aren't allenhead bolts. They are 12 point/triplesquare/xzn head.

When I pull the axle off I bolt a spare trany flange to it. I have been saving spare trany flanges to cover spare axle ends during storage.
Yes, the old seal had trouble coming out both times. If you look closely at the pictures the seal is pretty mangled.

Look up at the pictures. They don't look 12 point to me. They are 6 point allen head bolts. Could there possibly different sized ones for different applications, say a 100mm flange instead of a 90mm?
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Ewww, I can smell the gear lube just looking at the pictures. :lol: Nice write-up. The Beetles and buses had the same bolts with the 6-point head. It is certainly possible that someone used the six point bolts as they would fit fine. All the rabbits/jettas/vanagons I've messed with have had the 12-point.

Andrew
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

libbybapa wrote:Ewww, I can smell the gear lube just looking at the pictures. :lol: Nice write-up. The Beetles and buses had the same bolts with the 6-point head. It is certainly possible that someone used the six point bolts as they would fit fine. All the rabbits/jettas/vanagons I've messed with have had the 12-point.

Andrew
I wonder why they would do that? :roll:

Thanks for the info Andrew!

-Matt
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

bolts

Post by Fatmobile »

They were supposed to be triplesquares but someone probably had a hard time finding a triplesquare tool and pulled the old ones with vice grips, swearing at those germans the whole time, and did what he concidered an upgrade.
No telling what the old ones looked like when the PO was done with them, maybe he needed to buy new ones,... and allen heads are easier to find.
My computer and connection are a little slow so I didn't wait for all the pictures to load.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

I found out that the original owner had one of the 12 points seize while getting the cv boot replaced. So originally the bolts were 12 point.
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

... and the Volkswagen universe returns to normal as another mystery is solved... !! :lol:
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

Yeah, when I bought new bolts they were Allens. Annoying, too, as I had just purchased the 12-point tool... :evil:
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

flange seals

Post by Fatmobile »

That flat piece of metal on your new flange compressor tool needs to be fairly thick.
I made one like it (got a yard of metric allthread for about $3).
Mine is starting to bend.
I can't make it wider because it'll get in the way of the c-clip pliers so I'll have to use thicker metal on the next one.... maybe or 1/2".... or I could use better metal. :idea:
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Nice write up. My flanges were grooved and still leak. :( Anyone know if a "speedi-sleeve" or "redi-sleeve" can be had for the gooved sealing surface?

Left side comes in and out easily with a helper prying against the "subframe". But the right side you got nothing to pry against. (also I'm working on a lift with a Giant prybar so it would probably be more difficult on jackstands cuz ya cant put your legs into the pry)

Tool is simple to make and safer so you should probably use it for both sides anyway.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I've used the sleeves on the vanagon drive flanges and they worked great. I got them at the local industrial tech store. It was a couple of years ago and I remember thinking they were fairly pricey like $15 each, but certainly less than new drive flanges. Good quality seals are important as well, as is filling the seal lips with a bit of high quality grease.

Andrew
jets
Cetane Booster

Post by jets »

I have just read this write up--excellent. I did the same job around 4 years ago on a '90 Golf GTI. One thing I noticed in the Bentley at the time
"CAUTION
The slotted control arm ball joint mounting holes should never be used to adjust camber. Ball joint location is factory set to match drive axle length. Moving the ball joint may cause premature CV joint wear."
When I had the alignment checked I asked the mechanic to adjust so that there was no preload on the joint & infact a slight clearance. Fortunately after this setting the camber was correct.
Green79
Cetane Booster

Post by Green79 »

I'm about to pull my trans out to try and fix a leak, but I'll prolly do the flange seals at the same time (they're not leaking right now). Are the driver's side balljoint bolts supposed to be loosened so that the axle can be separated from the flange? Previously I was able to get the driver's side axle off (just barely) by jacking the front end up so the wheel drooped all the way, then cranking the steering wheel all the way to the left... maybe this was possible because I have a 4spd?