Pilot Bearing

Moderator: Fatmobile

slam_dunk
Glow Plug

Pilot Bearing

Post by slam_dunk »

I am converting from 1.6na diesel vanagon to 1.8 K-Jet engine from Golf/Rabbit Mk1 - I have read that I will need to use a pilot/spiggot bearing on the end of input shaft. Can anyone shed any light on this part, explanations, possibly pics and vw part number. Much appreciated.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

You need to install the pilot bearing into the end of the crankshaft. Get a pilot bearing for a diesel vanagon and tap it in place. The rubber seal of the bearing goes toward the tranny to keep clutch dust out. No pics necessary.

Andrew
slam_dunk
Glow Plug

Post by slam_dunk »

as I already have a diesel engine, can I use the pilot bearing from there? or have I missed the point
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

You would ruin the pilot bearing removing it from the crank as it is a significant press fit. They're only a couple of bucks.

Andrew.
stopping
Diesel Freak

Post by stopping »

make sure the walls of the hole for it are clean, don't put grease on the walls before driving it in, put a bit of grease on the needle bearings directly. Make sure the seal is right side up (toward the clutch.... to keep the grease off).

Don't bend it and put it in straight.... of course it helps to have the tool (not that I would know)
A slide hammer would help or a tube inside a tube?
stopping
Diesel Freak

Post by stopping »

BTW the bearing will come back to haunt you if don't do it right.....

You should check for crankshaft end-play while your at it (see BENTLEY)..... do not lose the shims (if any) that came off the the wheel.... I guess it was an engine from an automatic.