biodiesl conversion

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

jaycyr
Glow Plug

biodiesl conversion

Post by jaycyr »

IM sorry everyone but can I please have the straight info on which lines etc... I should replace for biodiesel use. I was under the impresion that I didnt have to and I have been running B5 for a while now. My car is and 85 Jetta TD. Thanks
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

I don't run biodiesel but I know a bit about it. I'm pretty sure that you need to replace all your fuel lines because the biodiesel will act as a solvent, breaking the lines down over time.

I'm not sure if it would even be an issue with B5 though.

Anyone else able to shed some light on this?
MaxB
Glow Plug

Biodiesel on fuel lines

Post by MaxB »

If you are only using B5, you probably won't have problems for a while. The lines generally don't go out fast, but rather get sort of spongy then ooze first. If it were mine, I would just wait until I started getting signs of softness or leakage before I worried about replacing lines. I would almost guess you may have your filter plug up before then. Look for leaks around the pump and jumper lines between the injectors.
My son has an Isuzu he has run up to B100 in for over a year and still hasn't had any problems. He has a lot of biodiesel links on his website you can check stuff out at. His site is www.utahbiodieselsupply.com.
If you do replace any of them, there are cheaper products you can use besides Viton, which seems to be the expensive standard.
Good Luck
Max
jaycyr
Glow Plug

Post by jaycyr »

thanks and what about the seals etc... in the pump itself? I want to run more biodiesel content but if it will cost me $900 or whatever it is to get my pump rebuilt eventually I will have to reconsider.