turb turbo another turbo

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

mcgavin
Glow Plug

turb turbo another turbo

Post by mcgavin »

I have a 2004 polo 1.9 TDI. The turbo has blown twice. at 35 000km and last week at 96 000km.

The car is used only on long distance to work and sits at 120km/h (about 2250rpm) on highway with absolutely no traffic. I never race the car.

In another discussion in this forum, i read that it is not necessary to cool the turbo. I doubt very much that the turbo would get very hot sitting at such low revs on open road anyway.

The car has had every service since new. Unfortunately the warranty has now expired so i am on my own.

Why does the turbo keep blowing? Is there something i can do to prevent this? Could it be the altitude? (6000ft) Could it be the quality of diesel we have in our country? (South africa)

Any help would be appreciated
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

I dont know the answer.

The one peice of info I have to offer is to make sure you let the turbo spool down and cool just a little while before shutting off the engine.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>