Damn vacuum pump

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

chrischris
Diesel Freak

Damn vacuum pump

Post by chrischris »

My vacuum pump started leaking and I discovered that the diaphram was torn. I bought a new kit off eBay ($17) and installed it. I was careful to not over tighten the small nut and installed it and everything worked great. However, a few days later the brakes started to fade again. I took out the pump and found that the damn nut worked itself loose and did a decent job stripping the bolt! So I did my best to fit it on the threads and everything was great until the brakes AGAIN faded. This time it was again a torn diaphragm, most likley from the nut being on too tight.

I ordered a new kit (this is getting expensive) and am waiting to receive it. Any tips on how to do this job right?
3Bunnys
Turbo Charger

Post by 3Bunnys »

My memory is that there should be large flatwashers sandwiching that diaphram, so tightening the nut is not a problem. Are you missing some washers maybe. The company I buy kits from supplies a new nylon insert locknut (or jam nut) and an O-ring with the diaphram. And that diaphram is preshaped and has to be oriented correctly, off the top of my head I can't tell you which way. Also, sadly, rubber quality does vary, this is a pain with vacumn pumps and an absolute B**** with CV boots.. Richard
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

There is an 'alignment' procedure in the Bentley where you disconnect the pump's connecting rod from the driveshaft, position the diaphragm and the crank, then reattach the conrod. Apparently diaphragms will quickly fail if you don't do this.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

I second that about the alignment procedure, I went rhough exactly the same situation with a Mahle kit off ebay and assumed it was crappy quality. Then I read the procedure which I followed with a new kit, problem solved. Unfortunately the new kit was of a different brand so I can't say with certainty that the problem was alignment, but I'm guessing it was.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Diagphragm Pumps.

Post by hagar »

chrischris ----it is APPLE pie when you get the hang of it ----17 dollars USA ? you were had.

About a 30 minute job here --- and good for years and years.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Vacuuum.

Post by hagar »

chrischris ---put your location on your profile.

hagar.