Diff only leaks when parked on an incline?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

tylernt
Turbo Charger

Diff only leaks when parked on an incline?

Post by tylernt »

I've had a thick layer of sludge on my differential since I got the car. However, I never noticed any leaking for over a year while I parked my car in the (level) garage.

More recently, I started parking in my slightly inclined driveway and to my surprise, it leaked a little puddle of transmission fluid. I then parked backwards (so the front of the car is lower than the back) and ...no more puddles!

Has anyone seen a transmission leak from the differential area only when the car is tilted up? I pulled the fill plug (with the car level) and the amount of fluid is correct.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
rwest1
Cetane Booster

Post by rwest1 »

Thats a weird one! I would spray on some degreaser/grime buster, and blast off all the crud with a power wash. Might want to do same to driveway so you will know you have the right puddle. Park it overnight (same position that it leaked before), get under in morning with strong light and scope out where oil is coming from. Also, may want to check out tranny codes to make sure yours is OE. Some later units had different fill levels. Regards