fuel return

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

(o\UU/o)
Cetane Booster

fuel return

Post by (o\UU/o) »

hey guys, i was searching through the posts trying to find where the fuel return check valve on an 86 na diesel jetta would be? when i take the hose off the out banjo on the injection pump and blow through it, its real hard and feels like its blocked. i've used my aircompressor regulated down to about 5 psi and i can get it to unblock it, but then after i reconnect everything and run it, it becomes blocked again. im thinking the check valve is sticking or there is some crud in the line. just wondering where the check valve would be? i dont have the bentley, and the one i normaly use from the library is checked out. thanks for any help, Joe
rwest1
Cetane Booster

Post by rwest1 »

On 86 it is about under passengers feet in fuel line along subframe. Kind of a parts anomaly since Bentley doesn't show it! Haven't been able to find in ETKA either. Regards
(o\UU/o)
Cetane Booster

Post by (o\UU/o) »

ok well i went out and took a look to see if i could find it. the one underneath is closer to the fuel/water separator and is for the feed line. i found the one for the return in the trunk under the little access cover. thats gonna make it hard to blow the line out since its a short line and will probably end up making a mess in my trunk. i'm gonna wait until i can find a new check valve and for my weekend before i take it apart and see if i can fix it. it looks like a plastic bodied valve and i dont want to break it or the 20 year old fuel line.
(o\UU/o)
Cetane Booster

Post by (o\UU/o) »

ok well i got back from vacation and started looking into where i can get ahold of a check valve. the local autoparts stores dont stock it or even show pictures of it on their computers. the dealership has a checkvalve, but it is not pictured on their diagrams either. its not a part they stock, and they want $55, so i dont want to get it being the wrong thing.

does anyone has a part number for the return check valve?
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

What function does the return check valve serve? I don't think Mk1s even got them.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
(o\UU/o)
Cetane Booster

Post by (o\UU/o) »

i'm not even sure on the return system. its got to be there for a reason. i can see for the feed, to keep the pump primed and air out of the system.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

check valve

Post by Fatmobile »

I went to the dealership awhile back and asked about these check valves.
They gave me a copy of the ETKA page... some day I'll have ETKA booklets for my cars :).
It is illustration 201-20.... for an '88. Model GOU
I have the part number written on it: 165 201 542.
Both check valves have the same part number.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
rayray
Cetane Booster

Post by rayray »

FYI...
My 82 Pickup and 83 Quantum have no check valves at all in the fuel line systems. Just the gravity valve that connects inline with the tank breather line.
'90 Ram 12V Cummins
'92 Jetta (current gas>TD swap project)
'86 Quantum Synchro SW gasser (future TD project?)
'82 Rabbit TurboDiesel Pickup (Totaled due to inattention)
'83 Quantum TurboDiesel sedan (crushed)
'82 Quantum TurboDiesel wagon (crushed)
'82 Quantum gasser (totaled by drunk driver)
'85 Quantum SW gasser (crushed)
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

check valves

Post by Fatmobile »

I think check valves on the fuel line of the A2s have alot to do with the water seperator.... so when you drain it, fuel from the engine bay won't come flowing back, letting air in. It's right after the water seperator.

Why they have one on the return line????... I don't know.

I didn't know they took them off the later models but the Rabbit doesn't have one and gets along just fine.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.