mileage using biodiesel

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

jettaveg
Glow Plug

mileage using biodiesel

Post by jettaveg »

I just started running my 1990 Jetta on homebrewed biodiesel. Right now I am running about B-50. What kind of mpg can I expect using bio? Everything I have read on other biodiesel boards suggests that the mpg stays the same. I had not even thought about this as I was more occupied with the production process. Thanks for this board. By the way this is my first diesel and my first VW. It has been a lot of fun so far.
BlueDog
Turbo Charger

mpg

Post by BlueDog »

Good question but I don't know the answer. I want to say I'm starting to do the same as you. Will start building the processor soon. I bought a water heater and next to buy is the big pump. BTW, I'm in Michigan too, west side.
'89 Jetta 2-dr gasser converted to 1.6L NA
'04 Jetta TDI GLS Platinium
'87 F350 dually 7.3 future project
'79 Mainship Perkins T6.354
jkeiffer_gearhead
Turbo Charger

Post by jkeiffer_gearhead »

should bet the same milelage in the rabbits and maybe better because it will lubricate you injection pump better and take less power to drive your injection pump, plus allow your timing advance piston to move easier thus improving your pump timing through the rpm range

hope this helps

later
Justin
www.archeryprostaffmi.com
1985 GMC pickup 4x4 lift kit and runs 14.625 @ 91mph
1982 VW rabbit pickup 1.6L just rebuilt, 100mm cv's, 02A transmission
1997 Geo Tracker 1.9 TDI-M, variable gate turbo, Giles Pump
MaxB
Glow Plug

Your mileage may be just slightly less..

Post by MaxB »

Expect less mpg because Biodiesel has less btu's than dino diesel , however the octane is higher. However, the difference may not be noticeable.
Watch for your filters to get plugged, but expect your engine to run quieter. I thought something was wrong with my Cummins at first because when I'd accelerate on the highway it didn't make a bunch of noise.

Good Luck,
Max
jkeiffer_gearhead
Turbo Charger

Post by jkeiffer_gearhead »

When running high percentages of biodiesel you may also notice that you exhaust has more of a blue tint to it.

In my thesis testing Biodiesel blends made as much hp and torque as diesel if not more power and had better torque curves, the only time that biodiesel did not make more peak power than diesel was with B100 but it was only like 3 percent, but the new ULSD has a lower BTU rating than the stuff that I tested with

the most interesting thing that we saw in testing was the fuel temp coming out of the pump when using biodiesel was around 20 or so degrees F cooler which is why I said that you should see an increase due to less friction on the pump

hope this helps

later
Justin
www.archeryprostaffmi.com
1985 GMC pickup 4x4 lift kit and runs 14.625 @ 91mph
1982 VW rabbit pickup 1.6L just rebuilt, 100mm cv's, 02A transmission
1997 Geo Tracker 1.9 TDI-M, variable gate turbo, Giles Pump
Thebfkid
Glow Plug

Post by Thebfkid »

we use to use biodiesel in our landscaping trucks. We used a mix of 30% diesel to 70% biodiesel. It did lower the mpg about 10%-15%. also for some reason it made the engine seem alittle more lively and alittle better throttle response. (not exactly sure why)... But who really cares for 35-45cents a gallon to make biodiesel if i got 50% of the original mpg i'd still be happy
85 Jetta coupe 5sp Diesel
v8volvo
Turbo Charger

Post by v8volvo »

In my folks' Passat TDI we notice a decrease of about 3 mpg running B100 versus running straight diesel. But that car was designed to run on modern ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel that has no lubrication and as such the main injection parts are lubed by engine oil instead. So the only effect of the bio is to decrease volume energy content of the injected fuel, meaning lower mileage. But in my Rabbit, the increased lubricity of the biodiesel makes a big difference in how easily the engine runs because it makes the pump a lot easier to turn. So in that car I notice a lot more power and response and smoother running on B100 and absolutely no change in MPG. I guess the increased lubricity just about balances out the decreased volume energy content.

So the answer is not that simple, it depends on the engine. But for an older rotary-pump IDI VW diesel, I think you should expect not that much deviation, just a much nicer running engine and more power with about the same mileage.
'81 Rabbit 1.6D/5-speed, sold '09
'86 Volvo 740 TD wagon, 295k
Krank
Diesel Freak

Post by Krank »

I made my first batch a few weeks ago, and have noticed a 3 - 4% decrease in mileage. This seems consistant with another one or two posts here.
My engine was rebuilt 6K miles ago, and I also had my fuel pump and injectors professionally rebuilt (not just resealed). I think with the rebuild the components are changed to be insensitive to the lower sulfer fuels, so there would be (again echoing another post) no gain from lubricity, merely less BTU's per cc of bioD.

My costs for manufacturing are now down to around .70 per gallon, so I'm quite happy reducing my rabbit NA from 44 to 40 MPG.

Please bear in mind that I have no accurate method of measuring the gallons into the car at this point, so my calculations are based merely on rough estimates and the ol' "lookslike' method.
'81 Rabbit N/A
'82 Audi 4000 Diesel (a vw in luxery clothing!)
Diesel_Rabbit
Diesel Freak

bio lower fuel economy

Post by Diesel_Rabbit »

Some of the initial loss of fuel economy can be due to the fuel filter clogging due to the cleaning effect bioD has on fuel tank, especially older cars. Have extra fuel filters on hand and slowly increase the amount BioD concentration...5,10, 20, etc. Be prepared to stop and swap it out, or better yet, change more frequently. Eventually you will have a clean and lubricated fuel system. The same applies to using biodiesel for home heating.
------------------------------------
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon 5sp, 135,000 mi
1984 Rabbit diesel, 240,000 mi, wvo conversion
1985 Yanmar YM146 diesel, 1650 hrs, wvo conversion
TeamSpatula
Diesel Freak

Post by TeamSpatula »

OK, so I am running my first tank of B20 in my 81 rabbit. I will be interested to see how it goes, and if I notice a difference...of course, it may be a while, I only fuel up once a month!
:)
Gotta love that...
I've been getting between 44 and 49 mpg so far with dino diesel...interestingly enough, I actually seem to get better mileage driving around town than on the highway...
.../----------------\... http://www.TeamSpatula.com
../___________\..
./[ ]===\X/===[ ]\. 1962 VW Crew Cab
|\____________/| 1972 Jeep C104
|_\__________/_| 1981 Rabbit Diesel
DutchAussie
Glow Plug

Re: mileage using biodiesel

Post by DutchAussie »

jettaveg wrote:I just started running my 1990 Jetta on homebrewed biodiesel. Right now I am running about B-50. What kind of mpg can I expect using bio? Everything I have read on other biodiesel boards suggests that the mpg stays the same. I had not even thought about this as I was more occupied with the production process. Thanks for this board. By the way this is my first diesel and my first VW. It has been a lot of fun so far.
Our 2007 VW Caddy 1.9 L TDI with DSG gives the same mileage on Biodiesel as it does on Diesel.
The only difference is the engine is less noisy and has "smoother" acceleration.
Regards,

Arie

Australian VW Caddy Website:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~avdw

Australian VW Caddy Forum:

http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/index.php ... utchaussie