do you trust JB weld on a water pump housing crack?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

canucklehead
Cetane Booster

do you trust JB weld on a water pump housing crack?

Post by canucklehead »

See my post on '89 Jetta TD waterpump leaking. I've determined i cracked the pump housing. it's a brand new pump and housing ( I mashed the t-bolt into it). Would you trust JB Weld to hold up on the cracked housing?
3 oil burners: '89 Jetta, '99 F350, '00 John Deere 790
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

JB weld

Post by Fatmobile »

I would have to put a new housing on it, for peace of mind.... of course, I don't have AC and power steering to mess with.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
ajt3nc
Cetane Booster

Post by ajt3nc »

Jack or partsplace probably can fix your ills for $25.
What is a tow, headgasket, and your time worth ?
86 n/a jetta , 89 td 1.6, 05 passat 2.0 tdi 07 wrx,
MaxB
Glow Plug

JB WELD

Post by MaxB »

You could try it to see> I'll guess it would work if it isn't on an area where the mounting bolts put pressure on it.

Be sure there is absolutely no antifreeze or grease on the area. Also, I might rough the area up a bit with a wire brush. Be sure to use the slow set kind and make sure it doesn't run off while setting up. I used some on a Dodge Cummins radiator several years ago and it's still holding. I tried to solder is first.

Good Luck,

Max
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

How badly will it leak if the weld fails?

Typically JB Weld does not stay stuck to aluminum for very long if the part heat cycles (different expansion rates). I doubt it would work well for long.

Andrew
canucklehead
Cetane Booster

Post by canucklehead »

thanks for the replies. I used the fast-setting JB Weld (cuz's that's what I had). I cleaned it really good with brake cleaner and compressed air. The weld seems really strong. But then I got paranoid and decided to replace it. I broke 3 of my old housing bolts on mine, so that didn't happen. my friend had a spare housing (old), but it cleaned up okay, so I used that with the new pump. I re-used the gasket since it hadn't really been used; it came off easily and attached to the pump side, and it seemed to be in perfect shape (no breaks).
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Probably the wise thing to do... nothing's worse than sitting by the side of the Trans-Canada with steam pouring out the hood... don't ask me how I know !!

Vince
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Aluminium Brazing is cheap.

Post by hagar »

Waterpump repairs --"ON THE CHEAP" ---Aluminium --- "BRAZING" works miracles for hagar.

Lingo about joining metals have been totally muddied up Copper brazing of steel is brazing ---use Silver on steel and it is Silver SOLDERING --- Using " soft solder " on Aluminium is called --Aluminium soldering.----go figure.

As a flyboy I know that the propeller of "Miss. America" P-51 Mustang ----was steel joined by copper at the edges-----yes it was hollow. -----and it split at the seems like a banana peel. ---and I saw it happen.

hagar.

PS : Aluminium brazing --IS aluminium on aluminium --worked like "snot on a round doorknob" and if that is not slick ? what is --EH ?.
canucklehead
Cetane Booster

Post by canucklehead »

ya, i wondered about melting some solder in there. do you think solder would have worked? or would it have stuck?