IP reinstall trouble

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

joshuare
Cetane Booster

IP reinstall trouble

Post by joshuare »

So I have just reinstalled my injection pump in my 1981 diesel rabbit, and I am having a hell of a time getting it to start. I have loosened the 4 metal fuel lines on the right side of the pump to try to bleed the system. I have tried cranking the engine for several minutes, and I still see no fuel. I also tried putting a hose in the fuel filler hole and blowing into it for several minutes with no luck. Any thoughts on how to get my car running again?
joshuare
Cetane Booster

Post by joshuare »

nevermind this post. i looked around more on this site and found a good tip ( from fatmobile I think) to suck fuel through the outflow of the pump. It didn't start right away, and there were lots of bubbles in the line, so what I did was suck fuel all the way up the hose, then let it drain back down, then do it again until it came up with no bubbles. the next time it started immediately. awesome!
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

starting

Post by Fatmobile »

Glad to hear you got it going.
Yep, you have to get fuel flowing through the pump first, then worry about the injector lines.
...and floor it while you are cranking because not much fuel flows at idle and it takes awhile to push the air out of the injector lines.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.