More IP trouble

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

joshuare
Cetane Booster

More IP trouble

Post by joshuare »

These things are never simple, are they. So now that I have my resealed injection pump back in my 81 diesel rabbit, it is giving me some trouble. While I believe I have it timed pretty well, it is hard to be sure because my timing gauge doesn't work perfectly. However, the problem I am having is when the throttle is opened, it stays open. If I give it a little gas, then let off the pedal it stays at the same RPM. If I give it a little more gas, the RPms go up a little more and stay there. However, there seems to be a limit. If I rev it WAY up, (to the point where the exhaust start to turn black - also not good), it does come back down some, but not nearly back to the standard idle speed. But, when the car is turned off then back on, it starts out at the original idle speed. I have inspected the throttle arm and cable very carefully and there appears to be nothing sticking. Could this be a side effect of the timing being too high, or do I have some internal pump problem that I have no chance of fixing? Help!
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

run-on

Post by Fatmobile »

Sometimes the throttle lever can get sticky so I'd check that first. Spraying the springs down with spray lube should free them up, if that's the problem.
Next, I'd back off your max fuel screw.... but it does it when you aren't flooring it so that's probably not it.

Also it might be possible to have the timing so retarded that fuel is remaining after the burn.... seems like someone else had this problem/solution recently. Do the normal timing tests using the cold start lever during startup and after it's warm.

The other problem could be injectors that are spraying funny and leaving fuel in after the burn.... but you said it was fine before the seal swap so it's probably injection pump related.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
JAMES ADKINS
Turbo Charger

Post by JAMES ADKINS »

Make sure those wierd little coiled springs on top are hooked up right.You should be able to flip throttle under the hood and it snap right back when released.
joshuare
Cetane Booster

Post by joshuare »

Well, it seems that through some miracle the problem has solved itself. I have rechecked the timing a couple of times and it seems like the sticking throttle problem has gone away. I do have a few more questions though that I will ask about in a different post. Thanks again guys.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Be sure that you don't have a dirty accelerator cable that may be stiff when cold :?:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)