84 diesel rabbit resurrection

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

pumpkin2themax
Glow Plug

84 diesel rabbit resurrection

Post by pumpkin2themax »

So i pulled an 84 rabbit out of the woods today. Overall the thing looks like it may one day drive again. The rust situation is not bad at all for a Maine car and the engine compartment looks fairly clean. I got the thing to a place where i can work on it and immediatley hooked up a battery to see if there was any life. When i turn the key to the first position, all the bells and whistles go off. The fuel pump starts pumping, the wipers go, all the dash lights turn on, and a buzzer sounds. I havent had a chance to look at the fuse pannel, but i suspect its corroded. When i turn the key all the way, the bells and whistles continue, but no response from the starter. What do you guys think? is there a possibility that this thing will go?

The good news is that the engine turns over when I put it in gear and roll the car, there is oil in the pan despite years of sitting, and... well i cant think of another thing, but i have hopes for this car.

Keep in mind this is my first diesel project and any and all help or input is greatly appreciated, I'm here to learn.

thanks,
nate
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

It is common for earlier Rabbits to have rain leak on the fusebox from a leaky windshield, but later Rabbits like yours usually do not suffer that problem.

The next common problem is grounding -- you should have 4 grounding points in the engine compartment. Two run from the battery, one to the transmission and one to the body. Then there is a brown wire going from shock tower to shock tower with various things tying into it. These connections often go bad and when they do, all sorts of weird electrical things start happening. Been there, done that.

I imagine there is a grounding connection in the passenger compartment near the fusebox, though I haven't been into mine yet to see. Anyway, the first place to check any VW electrical issues are the grounds.

Your next purchase should be the Bentley service manual -- worth every penny.

Congrats on your diesel purchase! Also, you've found the right place if you're looking for fellow diesel fans. :)
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
busguy71
Cetane Booster

Post by busguy71 »

if you turn the key and the fuel pump goes on, thats a gas motor. right?
1971 VW bus camper
1965 VW beetle undergoing a chop top
2000 yamaha roadstar
1984 Rabbit 2-door diesel
...want to build a VW diesel auto motorcycle

I may be slow but I'm ahead of you!
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

busguy71 wrote:if you turn the key and the fuel pump goes on, thats a gas motor. right?
Heh, yeah, good point -- no electric fuel pump on a diesel. Maybe he heard the wiper washer pump. ;)
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

fuel pump

Post by Fatmobile »

I was thinking the previous owner added a helper pump, because the injection pump wasn't priming well,... common easy fix for a bad vane pump.

pumpkin2themax, Are you sure it's a diesel? :D
The '84s are nice because they come with plastic fender liners and usually have bolt through wings.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
pumpkin2themax
Glow Plug

Post by pumpkin2themax »

I took a look at the fuse box today and it looked pretty good. I'll check out the grounds when i get a chance.

The fuel pump is definately a custom touch... (attached with sheet metal screws to the fender well :/ ). 100% sure she's a diesel, not that clueless.

The fact that there is a helper pump worries me slightly... if its a sign of a weak injector pump, it may be more trouble than its worth. I'm really bitten by the diesel bug though, and if this one is too far gone i'll definately be in the market for another.

thanks for your guidance, and i'll keep you posted

nate
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

work

Post by Fatmobile »

You'll have to change the timing belt anyway so it's not too much more work to change the injection pump while you are in there.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.