Runaway IP? 85 Bosch Rotary VE IP....

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

tonyO
Glow Plug

Runaway IP? 85 Bosch Rotary VE IP....

Post by tonyO »

Be gentle, first post here.

I've searched the forums and have seen similar but not exact problems to this. It seems when I start my car, the car just revs as if I have my foot on the floor (WOT). I'm fairly certain it's the IP and it's not just a sticky accelerator cable. The prior symptom is that it wanted to stall out at anytime I was stopped. I would have to floor it to keep it from doing so, then one day, this runaway revving took it's place. I don't even put my foot on gas pedal and as soon as it cranks and starts, it just runs away. I have to shut it off within seconds or risk blowing the engine so it's sort of hard to diagnose. Someone once told me it might be the idle spring or the governor and that it could likely be fixed without removing the IP. Any pointers would be great. I'm in the process of searching for as much info on the Bosch Rotary VE IP as I can find. Unfortunately the manuals are out of print.

thanks
Tony O
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

Make sure there is no oil in your intake manifold. The most common cause of runway is burning oil from the breather hose.

The earlier desire to stall could be due to bubbles in the fuel line, caused by an air leak in the fuel system.

Once you've addressed those issues, then yes, the pump is probably the next place to look...
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

runaway

Post by Fatmobile »

Runaway doesn't stop when you turn the key off,... so I'd say the governor spring is a good chance.
I haven't heard of one falling off or breaking before but this could be the first.
Pull the top off the injection pump and see.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Have you or a previous owner turned the fuelling screw in (perhaps to raise the idling level) I believe if in too far, it will cause this symptom. I'd be surprised if cold oil in the pipework crevasses would cause runaway from outset. Is the little metal sleeve missing on the fuelling screw? A sure sign of tampering :wink: Back it out a tad. ( its accessed by screwdriver etc from pump fuel line area)
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
jason
Cetane Booster

Re: Runaway IP? 85 Bosch Rotary VE IP....

Post by jason »

tonyO wrote: Someone once told me it might be the idle spring or the governor and that it could likely be fixed without removing the IP.
I had this happen on my Rabbit two days after I bought it. To fix it I just sprayed wd-40 on all of the moving parts on the IP while moving them around and avoiding fuel lines. Thinking in about it again gets my heart racing, that thing spins up to full speed really fast! Really scary :!:
1982 Rabbit Diesel (was an automatic with a 1.6 N.A. mechanical now its a manual with a 1.6 N.A. hydraulic)
1998 New Beetle TDI
1988 Ford F250 Diesel
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Re: Runaway IP? 85 Bosch Rotary VE IP....

Post by Quantum-man »

jason wrote:
tonyO wrote: Someone once told me it might be the idle spring or the governor and that it could likely be fixed without removing the IP.
I had this happen on my Rabbit two days after I bought it. To fix it I just sprayed wd-40 on all of the moving parts on the IP while moving them around and avoiding fuel lines. Thinking in about it again gets my heart racing, that thing spins up to full speed really fast! Really scary :!:
This can be checked quickly by starting up with an assistant backing off the lever ....then turning off if it still races :?
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Run away.

Post by hagar »

Will hagar be kind to you ? --- have no fear --BUT you have a long long hard road to travel.

Rabbits are well known as Gone berserk Bunnies.--yes this is first hand experience.--as a matter of fact ---a Run away what was endeared me to these little marvels. 10000RPM plus ? and the valves never hit the pistons ? ---it blew my socks right off.-----and SMOOOOOOOTH ----wow it sounded like a TURBINE.---them krauts sure know how to balance an engine. I was sitting on the side of 101 laughing like a mad man . I threw the key out the window ---NO way was I lifting the Bonnet on a thing at that RPM.---yes a 18 wheeler came running with his fire bottle -but just then it died.----smoke ? I am a navy type and a destroyer would be proud of THAT smoke.----yeah I am an Airforce type too --and made a lot of "smoke" in the sky as well.----VE Bosch I P's
are Minimum --Maximum type Governors SO ? well the are two types of Run Away ----Governor is one and the other is BLOWBY.-----So ? read read all of Andrew in Flagstaff AZ as a starter. then piece by piece it will all make sense.

hagar.