Exhaust spring clips

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

busguy71
Cetane Booster

Exhaust spring clips

Post by busguy71 »

Since neither of my shop manuals even mentioned the spring clip exhaust, I'm turning to you guys for help. Is there an easy way to get these damn things back on? I think hagar may have mentioned it in his 150 page thread......
1971 VW bus camper
1965 VW beetle undergoing a chop top
2000 yamaha roadstar
1984 Rabbit 2-door diesel
...want to build a VW diesel auto motorcycle

I may be slow but I'm ahead of you!
calebc3
Diesel Freak

Post by calebc3 »

This is how I do it:
viewtopic.php?t=771&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
3rd post down I believe. May want to check that the 2" is right and not 1 7/8 or something.
87 isuzu pup diesel
busguy71
Cetane Booster

Post by busguy71 »

that did the trick! thanks 8)
1971 VW bus camper
2000 yamaha roadstar

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Exhaust clips.

Post by hagar »

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:58 pm Post subject: Old guy Old Rabbit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why is a Rabbit so important ? -----No special tools needed for those Springs on exhaust --just your hands. No special tools needed for doing springs on rear brakes ---- NO spring compressor needed --to do coils front and rear ----.
Parts from gasser and Diesel interchangeable ---? yes a LOT.

So easy and FUN to do ----say I----hagar. ----eyah I did it.

NO engine hoist needed --just lower engine --and roll body back on rear wheels. ---simple and easy.

More later.

hagar.
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

You cut it off and weld a flange on. I have never seen the clips b4. All mine are flange connected.
busguy71
Cetane Booster

Post by busguy71 »

Hagar, unless you have the hands of God, I dont know how the hell you do it! You could probably crush a coconut with two fingers!

A1A2A3- yeah, I was a little tempted to make a header for it..... 8)
1971 VW bus camper
2000 yamaha roadstar

libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

You can jam the pipe to one side, then slip the clamp on, then jam the pipe to the other side spreading the first clamp and letting you fit the second easily. Personally, I like the expander for being less stressful.

Andrew
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

I've tried wedges, pipe clamps, pry bars, harsh language... in the end I will admit to springing for the Hazlet tool. One minute a clamp, although it's still not the funnest job from a clearance perspective... on my gasser I have to pull the cold air box first.

Anyone ever doing an exhaust in northern Alberta is welcome to borrow it !!!

Vince
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Clip art.

Post by hagar »

Clip art by God and hagar ? Hagar, unless you have the hands of God, I dont know how the hell you do it! You could probably crush a coconut with two fingers!

I like your entry ---and GOD must have had his hand on my shoulder the first time I did it. SO? ----may the FORCE be with you all ---that will make believers out of you ----read my lips.

The VW exhaust system with the "CLIPS" I nominate for a Nobel Price of superb engineering ---in all my time ---a long time --remember I saw my first diesel , hanging on the -- " Hindenburg "-----can you top that one ?---I never saw a system more practical.---if you do it once - believe me you will never look back to ---all the tools like muffler clamps and what not --EH ? let us know EH ?

All my four Rabbits have the CLIPS.---and I never skinned a knucle ---and it takes only seconds to remove and about 2 minutes to install.---send me a Cocoa Nut and I shall try.

I did NOT go to Hogwarts for nothing EH ?-----yes it is part magic.----I don't mind---do you ?

heck I remove the exhaust systems as a routine maintenance. it is that easy.

hagar.