For those of you with starting dilemas...

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

coke

For those of you with starting dilemas...

Post by coke »

I learned today that when your glow plugs are non-functioning and the little critter just will not spring to life, to carry a bottle of Ronsonol Lighter Fluid with you everywhere.

After 2 or 3 failed attempts at WD-40, I grabbed a bottle of Ronsonol Lighter Fluid and while I cranked, my father gave the intake a dose of it and boom. Fired right to life. Best starting fluid I've ever seen (For semi-warm climates, of course, may work on colder, haven't tried) and its cheap!
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

Awesome tip!
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Be aware that whatever starting fluid you might choose to use, you run a significant risk of breaking compression rings when the thing fires off. I would highly recommend fixing glow plugs before using anything with regard to starter fluid, unless you are in an emergency situation where you do not care if the engine survives.

Andrew
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Squirt on a rag maybe?
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Starting a stubborn Rabbit ?

Post by hagar »

I am with Andrew and Mark on this one. -----NEVER use starting fluid --BUT if you must ? --do like Mark suggested -----use one of your socks if you must.

coke let us know the exact type you use ----we all need to learn NEW tricks ? ----- EH ?

hagar . in sunshine she need no persuation today WOW.
coke

Post by coke »

The fluid I used was Ronsonol Lighter Fuel. Its mild compared to WD-40 or ether, but it gives just enough fumes to ignite the fuel. Its in a Yellow bottle with a blue cap.

Alot of people use it to refill their Zippos.