Shift linkage reset

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

bwv
Diesel Freak

Shift linkage reset

Post by bwv »

Last night I finally got around to installing vwcaddy's shift rod bearing and am now ready to reattach the shift linkage back onto the shift rod.

This image (from vwcaddy's website) depicts where I am at in the procedure:

Are there any tips to resetting this properly? I've read all the relevant material that I could find here and elsewhere on the web, and my edition of Bentley only devotes a few lines (page 34.5) to this procedure. I marked the end of the rod where the splines are prior to the bearing upgrade, so I have a good idea of how far from the end of the rod I need to tighten the shifter rod clamp. I've experimented with the clamp on loosely, but I cannot seem to find neutral.

In the following thread tylernt mentions clamping a 9 volt battery as a spacer (i've also read that the narrow edge of a cassette tape will workk as well); I assume the battery (and cassette) are used in place of the adjustment gauge (part 3104), but precisely where, for example, do I clamp the battery?

viewtopic.php?t=6018&highlight=shift+rod+linkage

I have a neighbor who I will ask to come over and sit in the cab for me while I mess with the linkage under the car. But before I do that I would greatly appreciate any wisdom for those of you who have done this.

thanks very much.
Image_________Image__________Image
__1986 [A2] Golf 1.6L, 170,000_____1988 F250, 7.3 Navistar, 197k_____1984 Ford 1510 diesel, 2222 hours
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

Yep, all the techniques you mention will work. Bentley gives the dimensions, 15mm as I recall. 9V battery and cassette tape are also about that thick. Ideally you would have marked the location of the selector lever before removing it, but it is usually pretty easy to get back on. I have only measured once when installing it, I just do it by eye and feel. Stick in neutral, tranny in neutral and just line up the linkage, tighten it down and test it out. If adjustments are needed, you can tip the selector lever to one side or the other depending on which gears are hard to reach.
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
bwv
Diesel Freak

Post by bwv »

thanks for the encouragement... turuns out my neighbor sat in the cab with the stick in neutral, i tightened up the bolts, and we got it on the first try, although it is a tad difficult to get into first unless i lean the stick gently against the plastic beneath the rubber boot.
__1986 [A2] Golf 1.6L, 170,000_____1988 F250, 7.3 Navistar, 197k_____1984 Ford 1510 diesel, 2222 hours
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

bwv wrote:thanks for the encouragement... turuns out my neighbor sat in the cab with the stick in neutral, i tightened up the bolts, and we got it on the first try, although it is a tad difficult to get into first unless i lean the stick gently against the plastic beneath the rubber boot.
Are shifting into 1st means you need to either rotate the selector lever towards the driver's side a tad or if you have the adjustable linkage, lengthen the rear selector rod a turn or two:
- http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/ForSale/ ... Adjustment
bwv
Diesel Freak

Post by bwv »

Thanks! Talk about outstanding customer service! :D

For the record, you note on your site:
A final area where a fully adjustable shift linkage really shines is the ability to fine tune the balance between gears. For example, if you find shifting into 1st gear is a bit more difficult than 2nd, you can slightly lengthen the forward selector rod. This lets it push the selector shaft into the transaxle a little farther to make it easier to "reach" 1st gear. This also helps 3rd and 5th gear shifting. Likewise, the rear selector rod can be adjusted to balance 1st/2nd vs. 5th gear balance. Lengthening the rear selector rod lets you reach 1st/2nd gear easier, shortening it lets you reach 5th gear easier. The same logic applies for reverse gear, it is farther over that 1st, so lengthen the rear selector rod more to make reverse easier to reach. Or, if you have maxed out the length adjustment, see below for how to reposition the selector lever on the main shift rod.

While it is also possible to move the selector lever on the main shift rod, this involves climbing under the vehicle, unclamping and moving the lever and re-clamping it to make adjustments. If you change the fore-aft position, you can affect the shift lever alignment. Much easier to reach down from above, and fine tune the rear selector rod.
I have not yet installed your adjustable linkage kit, so I guess I want to move the selector lever on the main shift rod. This involves simply undoing the clamp, and having my neighbor move the gear shift lever slightly to the left, correct?

(PS: If you have a moment please PM me and advise what adjustable linkage kit I should buy for my A2.)
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

bwv wrote:Thanks! Talk about outstanding customer service! :D

I have not yet installed your adjustable linkage kit, so I guess I want to move the selector lever on the main shift rod. This involves simply undoing the clamp, and having my neighbor move the gear shift lever slightly to the left, correct?

(PS: If you have a moment please PM me and advise what adjustable linkage kit I should buy for my A2.)
Yes, you can either hold the shift rod still and pull the selector lever off and rotate it to the drivers side a spline or two and push is back on, or else pull off and have the shifter pushed to the passenger side a bit and reinstall.

Several options for the A2 linkage:
- http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/ForSale/ ... ypicalKits
bwv
Diesel Freak

Post by bwv »

Perfect, worked like a charm. thank you.