diesel (and gas) prices

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

bwv
Diesel Freak

diesel (and gas) prices

Post by bwv »

Stumbled upon this website, which documents fuel prices nationwide (USA).

http://gasbuddy.com

Diesel prices have been largely unaffected in my area (2.87 per gallon).
Image_________Image__________Image
__1986 [A2] Golf 1.6L, 170,000_____1988 F250, 7.3 Navistar, 197k_____1984 Ford 1510 diesel, 2222 hours
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

94.9 cents a litre here for diesel and $1.25/litre for gas. That's $5.67 a gallon CAD. With the dollar at 92 cents US. I can follow the gas trucks come from the upgrader in my city and cross the border and buy that same fuel there for 3.25US for a gallon for gas.
Diesel is 30 cents a litre cheaper here than gas. NOW if VW only made the new rabbit model a diesel and had any on the floor they would be laughing. Too bad those market retards never get the picture!! I email them a couple of times a month to VW and tell them to send us things like the polo blue motion a 1.3tdi that is the same size as a golf but gets 75MPG. They told me there is no market for that car in Canada. I say/know you would not be able to keep them on the lots. Lets build another toureg or that W-12 expensive thing that only rich people can drive(oh yeah that was a marketing BOMB)
The real price of gas/diesel should be about 4 cents a litre, there is soo much oil here and fuel being produced in Saskathewan and only 1million people in the province. The downside is its a world market and the fuel Thirsty United States buys it all at a lower cost and we get raped here at their expense. Just like how diesel never went up in the winter always was stable untill they made up a scam for that one as well. They say the US needs it for heating oil in the NE states. So that brings diesel higher than gas in the winter. Too bad after surveys found that people would not consider driving a more fuel effecient car untill gas hit $1.60 a litre. We ask for the price to be higher and higher with our own stupidity and ignorance. Anywho, too angry to say much more.
I would tell you guys living in California the price of fuel for me is a BARGIN, untill it breaks about 5.50 a gallon then I would buy from my pump. Can you imagine 5plus dollars a gallon US? Would you be pissed I sure as hell would be and I am!!
tedshark
Cetane Booster

Post by tedshark »

Yes and no I could live with it but I don't want to I have a VW diesel and I do OK on mileage driving to and from work and my other cars are not too bad Except for my Bronco that averages like all SUV's.
Bad is for the fisherman that drive a boat that's averaging 2 MPG.
So we got it OK
80 VW Rabbit Pickup 1.6 Hydraulic with 1.5 Non Hydraulic head
98 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD
94 Ford Bronco F351/5.7
99 Plymouth Grand Voyager
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

It's interesting to me (and frustrating) that diesel fuel here in Springfield, 10 miles from DC, is running about $3.15/gallon but I drove out to my place in the Shenandoah's yesterday and filled up for $2.59/gallon. It's only about 80 miles away, but the gouging seems to increase exponentially the closer you get to DC. How can the same fuel be $.55/gallon cheaper 80 miles away?

BTW regular gas at the same station was $2.99 gallon!

Getting 40+ mpg is some consolation, but that doesn't go far to letting the oil companies off the hook.

Still, at $5+ gallon in Canada, I shouldn't complain about prices here, but some consistency would make me feel a little better. When I bought my first diesel Rabbit, diesel was about $1.30/gallon (2001), I had no idea the prices would go this crazy.

Having some places like your link for seeking out the cheaper guys is really helpful, I'll have to look at that one to see if someone around here is cheaper than the $3.15/gallon crook.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
dexev
Cetane Booster

Post by dexev »

Taxes are usually a large factor in different prices for fuel -- they can be different for each state (and even each city). I suspect that's the big difference between prices in Canada and the US.

I know that for gasoline, there are dozens of different required 'blends' -- you can't sell Illinois gasoline in California, and vice versa. I don't think that's a factor in diesel prices, though.

The closer you are to a refinery, the cheaper the fuel, also. I suspect with diesel, the closer to a major trucking route, the cheaper it is, also -- the more you sell, the less profit you can take on each gallon and still break even.

I've been paying 2.97 for quite a while now (Portland, OR) -- while regular gas prices have risen from 2.60 to 3.30.
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

The closer you are to a refinery the cheaper the fuel is you say? In that case it should be the price of water. There is oil all around me in the ground being pumped. The refinery is about a five minute drive located in the city. If I drive 160 miles south east the gas is 10 cents a litre cheaper in the small towns where they truck it. Its all about supply and demand. In the cities in Canada we really get screwed from the gas price gouging.
There IS NO RYHME OR REASON TO GAS PRICES, THEY MAKE IT UP AS THEY GO ALONG!! When people finnaly believe the truth about prices is when people we stand up to our governments and make them stop raping us. They are the ones responsible for the prices, they could tell the oil companies whatever they wanted, they would have to listen to them to sell their gas in our countries. But they do not because its all taxed on a percentage. If the price is higher the government makes more. When has the government ever said no to free money? NEVER!! They do not fix our roads here like they do in the states. They blow it on moon pies and pennywhistles BUt thats another story.
dexev
Cetane Booster

Post by dexev »

A1-2-A3 wrote:f I drive 160 miles south east the gas is 10 cents a litre cheaper in the small towns where they truck it.
From the location in your profile, doesn't 160 miles south put you in Montana?
'81 1.6 N/A pickup
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

One can go to www.flyingj.com and see there prices at every truckstop.

Oregon average= $3.29 unleaded W/O ethonal
$3.79 Diesel
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

Well, 160 miles south east to a town like oxbow or carnduff.
Straight south would be montana thats where gas is really cheap like 45 cents a litre cheaper.
duffer
Turbo Charger

Post by duffer »

While there's certainly a discrepancy
between the Canadian and U.S gas
prices, it's important to remember
that the Canadian (Imperial)
gallon is 4.57 litres and the U.S.
gallon is only 3.78 litres.

Further, although the Canadian
dollar has, recently, risen significantly
against the U.S. dollar.
(from a low of 63 cents U.S. to
it's present 94 cents U.S.) it does
take time for that to work its
way into the economy and
domestic prices. And the exchange
rate should be factored into any
calculations.

Not that I'm an apologist for the
oil companies.
bwv
Diesel Freak

Post by bwv »

What is frightening is to contemplate is what will likely happen when the cost to extract a barrel of oil from the ground exceeds the market price of the same barrel. This sort of stuff causes me to lose a little sleep:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirsch_report

http://www.acus.org/docs/051007-Hirsch_ ... uction.pdf
Image_________Image__________Image
__1986 [A2] Golf 1.6L, 170,000_____1988 F250, 7.3 Navistar, 197k_____1984 Ford 1510 diesel, 2222 hours
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

That won't be happening any time soon, not peak, but the price situation you mentioned. My cousin works in the extraction industry and he's (along w/ everyone else except the president of the company) pissed as hell that they're still getting paid ~$5/bbl to pull it out of the ground by the oil co's, who turn around and sell it for ten times that amount.