Engine dissassembly done!

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

crankpot
Cetane Booster

Engine dissassembly done!

Post by crankpot »

Wow. What a black mess!
So I manged to drop the block during teardown. No major damage, but did hit the vac pump and broke it. Also found the intermed shaft messed up with oil slinger flange broken off. i figure someone whacked it with a hammer, and this was likely the cause of the funny noise this motor made while running. The bores were .001" too large for std pistons, so oversize one are on the way. The crank was perfect and STD bearing are the order. The head was good also, no cracks. i think this head might have been replaced in the past but have no history. Oil pump looks good. Anyone have an opinion about reusing an oil pump?

I posted a WTB on the classified area to get an intermediate shaft and vac pump.
1981 Caddy diesel 119K with working r12 A/C!
Freshly rebuilt engine .020 over, rebuilt 4 speed recently converted to a FN 5 speed, new control arm, ball joints, steering rack, engine mounts, clutch, clutch cable,flywheel, all brakes, brake cylinders, wheels, tires, Audiovox cruise control, HID Headlights, LED instrument lights.

Bob Jupiter, FL
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Tip the head up on it's side and pour WD-40 or PBlaster into the ports. Watch to see if it leaks out the combustion face. If it does, then at least hand lap the valves in.

Andrew
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

If oil pressure was good before disassembly, and the pump passes the gear lash check in the Bentley, I don't see a reason to replace it.

BTW I've found brake parts cleaner (acetone) to be the best sooty-oil cleaner so far. Even my usual favorite, carb cleaner (toluene), doesn't do as well as the brake cleaner. Engine degreaser? Useless.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

oil pump

Post by Fatmobile »

Take a look at the end of the pump shaft too,... see how it is wearing against the vacuum pump.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.