Pictures needed

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

jettaman8691
Diesel Freak

Pictures needed

Post by jettaman8691 »

As the motor I am putting together is a conversion from a 1.6 na to a 1.6 turbo diesel, I am having some challenges decifering how some of the hose run. Would it be possible for any of you to post some front and possibly rear pictures of your motors? Or if there are any you know of on the forum, what the links are? I have done extensive searching, to no avail. Thanks.
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Hose configurations changed slowly over the years... what year is your beast ?
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
jettaman8691
Diesel Freak

It's like the old Johnny Cash song

Post by jettaman8691 »

It's an 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 automobile. :)

The motor and head are hydraulic. The turbo and intake manifold are from an '82 Quantum. The exhaust manifold is from Jack. The body is a '91 16V Jetta.

The water pump has three outlets, rather than two. I have an oil cooler from an Audi (I think it was an Audihanks for the reply.). The intercooler was from something else.

The motor is together, just trying to figure out how to get all the add-ons configured correctly.

T
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

I have a ETKA printout I can scan and post showing hoses. I can post Pic's of my engine pull also but I wont be able to do so till Sat night or Sun.

Heres this for now

Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

wow you guys where not kidding about the space ship on top of the injection pump were ya? I wish I had a TD motor :( O'well maybe I will just put a leaf blower on the end of my intake
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Re: It's like the old Johnny Cash song

Post by libbybapa »

jettaman8691 wrote:The water pump has three outlets, rather than two.
All of the waterpumps have one outlet and three inlets.

Andrew
jettaman8691
Diesel Freak

Thank you all

Post by jettaman8691 »

I had never heard of Etka until this afternoon. Great site. Turns out I do have the correct water pump after all. Must be gettin' rummy.
Trying to get all the various supports on right, like for the alternator and such. Going to have to have a shop make up the oil supply and return lines for the turbo.
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Above diagram is nice but it doesn't show the cooler. Also the diagram show 3 hoses to radiator. Mine the 3rd hose goes to a "T" in the top radiator hose.

Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

CoolAirVw wrote: Also the diagram show 3 hoses to radiator. Mine the 3rd hose goes to a "T" in the top radiator hose.
Interesting, I've never seen that. Usually the third hose to the overflow tank is a smaller hose that goes on a nipple on the top of the radiator. It's the one that makes the little stream of coolant in the tank while the engine is running.
jettaman8691
Diesel Freak

That's great!

Post by jettaman8691 »

Thank you very much! The Bentley is good, but it lacks good clear pictures; something a guy like me needs.
Been battling with mounts tonight, trying to figure out how the air conditioner compressor goes on. Your picture helps immensley.
Would it be possible to get a view of the back of the motor, as well? I would like to see how the turbo matches up with the intake manifold and how your exhaust manifold is supported.
Again, thanks much.
duffer
Turbo Charger

Post by duffer »

I believe the small overflow hose, going from a nipple on the
passenger side of the radiator to the coolant tank, is
found on non-air-conditioned cars.

The overflow hose, T'ed into the upper radiator hose
is for air-conditioned cars.
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

duffer wrote:I believe the small overflow hose, going from a nipple on the
passenger side of the radiator to the coolant tank, is
found on non-air-conditioned cars.

The overflow hose, T'ed into the upper radiator hose
is for air-conditioned cars.
My A/C must have been dealer-installed, then. I had A/C (until I removed it), but had a single-speed radiator fan and a nipple on the rad for the little hose. And the receiver/dryer was attached with a wood screw. :(
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I've never seen an A2 ('85-'92) with a nipple on the radiator for a small hose going to the resevoir.
They all had the expensive upper radiator hose with the small line T-ing from it.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

Fatmobile wrote:I've never seen an A2 ('85-'92) with a nipple on the radiator for a small hose going to the resevoir.
They all had the expensive upper radiator hose with the small line T-ing from it.
My gasser Mk2 Jetta with A/C has the nipple on the radiator. Maybe I should keep the gasser radiator then, rather than swap in a diesel. Think the gasser rad will keep the TD cool enough?

Sorry I've sidetracked the thread now. ;)