VE injector pump assembly pictures.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

No, it's cool. Not having seen it before, I wasn't sure if I still had something screwed up inside. I think I've got it right now. I'm gonna test it on a running engine later this week. We'll see how it goes.

JB
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

And I should probably add that my IP on my Jetta has in excess of 200k miles on it, so maybe it's supposed to shoot fuel, not dribble it out of the IP ports.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
tawney
Turbo Charger

shooting or dribbling?

Post by tawney »

I was running a few of my old injection pumps with a drill this evening to decide which one to install in the current project, and I remembered this issue about fuel shooting out of the delivery valves. If the governor is at the low end of the idle position, you'll just barely get a noticeable amount of fuel coming out of the four valves, but if you block it 'wide open', you can blast a 'target' rag full of fuel in no time at all with clearly visible shots of diesel. It's an easy way to see if the governor is at least functioning before installation.
81 Pickup 1.6NA; '86 Cabriolet with 1.6 TD
girlguidebiscuit
Glow Plug

Bosch VE/Rotary and Isuzu IP applicability

Post by girlguidebiscuit »

Hi Everyone from New Zealand down in the South Pacific.

This is a really terrific thread. Can someone in the know please help with a couple of questions?

1) Libbybapa says "The Bosch pump looks "crowded" doesn't it? and yet, can't complain, a rotary pump is worse." I thought a VE pump IS a rotary pump? True or false?

2) I have an Isuzu 4JB1 2.8L commercial truck motor and wonder how similar the pump is to the one desribed here. Does anyone know?

Many thanks for your help.
Paul
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

The answer to number one is that the VE pump is really two pumps in one package. It has a lower pressure vane pump to draw fuel from the fuel tank and feeds the high pressure piston pump which deliver fuel to the injectors. If you could post a internal drawing the other pump in question we should be able to tell what it is. Maybe someone on the forum has seen one. I just watch the movie Australia last night. Looks like a fun place. I worked with an Australian on some turbines. He seemed to be a bit macho just like in the movie. Am I stereotyping people from down under or is it just me. Anyway welcome to the wonderful world of 1.6 VW diesels.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
girlguidebiscuit
Glow Plug

Surfcam, thanks for the reply. The Isuzu pump is a VE4 Bosch I believe and there is no lift pump so it would seem to be similar to the VW IP. What I want to know is if the overhaul instructions here will apply to the Isuzu pump too.

Australia is our nearest neighbour. There are great similarities and great differences between us...culturally and geographically. Rivalry is intense. About 500,000 NZers ("kiwis" after our national mascot flightless bird) live over there. Yes the archetypal Aussie bloke is macho.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Post a pic of your pump. If it looks the same, the pics will all apply. FWIW, I am not the original creator of the pictorial. The whole thing was posted by someone on the French section of the GTD forum and translated by a fellow member Veeman. I quoted it over to this forum.

Andrew
girlguidebiscuit
Glow Plug

Thanks Andrew. Here's a pic of the IP in the truck...close as I could get. - http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o229 ... _small.jpg

And I picked up a spare motor a while back, same pump...better detail, more dirt. - http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o229 ... _small.jpg

Didn't think I'd be able to take a decent pic of the spare IP but digital cameras are just so wonderful these days, compared with the old SLR film cams.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

From what I see (I'm definately no expert), the body of the pump looks VE Bosch. The top of the pump and maybe cold start lever (or lack of one) may be different, but the guts will likely be quite similar.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

It pretty much all applies.

Andrew
girlguidebiscuit
Glow Plug

Thank you for your responses, fellas.

Edit: By chance at a scrap metal dealer yesterday I found the best part of a junked IP which I brought home and can confirm it is substantially the same as in the pictures.

If so, why does it cost a small fortune to overhaul these pumps?
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

When they get rebuilt a test bench is used to calibrate them,
and they often need new parts,
I've seen some pretty corroded cam discs and rollers.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Pu241
Cetane Booster

Re: Bosch VE/Rotary and Isuzu IP applicability

Post by Pu241 »

girlguidebiscuit wrote:Hi Everyone from New Zealand down in the South Pacific.
Aint it a small world, I just got back from NZ, on the 18th!

Spent most of my time in Ashburton and alittle in Christchurch and Auckland.

Maybe going back in a a few months.
Not looking forward to the airflight, again though.
Where are you located, might have to drop by and share a beer or three?
All problems can be solved with the appropriate application of antimatter!
'81 Rabbit 125K
'88 GMC Step Van P-30 6.2L
Detroit Diesel 2-71 Generator
girlguidebiscuit
Glow Plug

By all means, do drop by! Lol. We're in a district on the east coast of the North Island called Gisborne. A warm, sunny place with great beaches. This was the first place Captain Cook landed when he discovered New Zealand in 1769.
Pu241
Cetane Booster

Post by Pu241 »

Oh, I'll be on the South Island, but I always wanted to ride that ferry between Islands (3 hours I beleive).

Hey, do the Maori celibrate captain Cooke's discovery?
All problems can be solved with the appropriate application of antimatter!
'81 Rabbit 125K
'88 GMC Step Van P-30 6.2L
Detroit Diesel 2-71 Generator