VE injector pump assembly pictures.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

girlguidebiscuit
Glow Plug

Post by girlguidebiscuit »

Yes it's a lovely trip on the Interislander. Sea-going birds, dolphins and whales (maybe), a stiff salty cool breeze in your face and the deck on the move beneath your feet. Breath-taking scenery and and enough water between you and land to make you feel you're on a voyage to the New World.

The Maori have their own traditions regarding settlement in New Zealand, but it is still true that Cook "discovered" New Zealand on behalf of Britain. History depends, I think, on who is telling the story. There is some reading at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maori_migration_canoes. Latest thinking is that the Maori descend from the people who originally inhabited Taiwan and who left those shores maybe 7000 years ago.

There is a renaissance in Maori tradition, culture and ego, helped no doubt by vast dollops of money from the government to try and redress past colonial injustices. Britain, I feel, was one of the more benign colonial powers, or perhaps everything just happened on a smaller scale.

An archeologist once told me that arthritis was a widespread problem among the Maori due to their close and continual contact with the soil.

More recently I heard a report that life expectancy among the Maori in immediate pre-European times had declined to about 20 years due to a shortage of protein in the diet.

And I understand the Maori could not make pottery and thus had no way to boil water. Cooking was done in soil ovens called hangi.

In the vexed debate on race relations a lot of the practical day-to-day advantages and realities of living today are overlooked or ignored.

None of this is to detract from the importance and value of Maori history and tradition, without which we would all be much the poorer.

P.S. There are two must-see movies, Whale Rider (whose lead actress was nominated for an Oscar) and Once Were Warriors, which both won lots of international awards. The people in Whale Rider are exactly as you find them a short way up the coast from here where the movie was filmed. Once Were Warriors deals with the darker side of Maori life today which is the reality for many including here in Gisborne where the polynesian population is about 50% overall.
rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

Ok I'm pulling this thread back up.

I just finished putting my injector pump back together after installing new bushings. I haven't ran it yet but it feels nice.
As the cam rollers get to the humps of the camplate it becomes very hard to turn. Once past a hump it is easy again for a bit.

Andrew
Mine is very easy to turn, I can definitely feel the hump but I can easily hold the pump with one hand and turn the shaft with the other, with the sprocket installed of course. Does this mean I did something wrong or is the plunger return springs too weak?

Also in the assembly pics he says the control levers have to go in before the plunger assembly, I put the levers in last and it worked fine, you just have to back the three sided bolts out pretty far.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

with the sprocket on turnign it by hand isn't too hard. it usually leaves marks in my fingertips, but it's only hard to turn at the humps. You're probably fine.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
tawney
Turbo Charger

Post by tawney »

I know this is probably too late, rabbit-man, but just for the heck of it, I put a torque wrench on a pump in the garage: turning it past the bumps on the cam plate required about 8 ft. lbs.

Steve
81 Pickup 1.6NA; '86 Cabriolet with 1.6 TD
rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

Ok thanks, I didn't measure mine but that's about what this was too.
BTW, my rabbit runs great, I had to tinker with the timing quite a bit but I got it nailed down pretty good.

I cut the throttle stop inside the pump off, it is now capable of massive amounts of black smoke :twisted: Watch out tailgaters :twisted: Sadly, in my quest for "smileage", I turned the fuel screw out enough that I can only get a little bit of smoke. :)
rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

This is an incorrect statement.
Also in the assembly pics he says the control levers have to go in before the plunger assembly, I put the levers in last and it worked fine, you just have to back the three sided bolts out pretty far.

I'm putting all the junky guts into my old pump body for later and I discovered if you still have the full throttle stop peg it is near impossible to get the lever assembly in. I'll try some more and see if it can be done anyways. I just wanted to save someone the trouble of following my advice :roll: .
anto
Glow Plug

Post by anto »

Could someone possibly explain in laymans terms what the governor shaft actually controls and what adjustment of it would alter with respect to how the car drives?
Would i notice a difference if turning it while the car is at idle?
My car runs fine after a rebuild i did using the pics in this thread but running fine and running perfect are 2 different things.
When reinstalling the governor shaft i screwed it in to where another pump i have is roughly at assuming they should be the same. Same pump.
Thanks in advance

Anton
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

VE injection BOSCH.

Post by hagar »

anto Glow Plug Joined: 01 Apr 2009
Post #: 1
Location: Ireland : Q Could someone possibly explain in laymans terms what the governor shaft actually controls . Answer : RPM max.. We (the forum) calls it Governor adjustment. Is that Lay enough ? it is not critical , just make sure "O" ring is inside housing.

Rabbit RPM are usually maxed at about 4500 to 5000.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

VE I P.

Post by hagar »

This is for Ireland : Would i notice a difference if turning it while the car is at idle?

Adjustment is behind I P sprocket SO ? please explain..

hagar.
rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

I assume this is a 1.6D?

I haven't figured out exactly what adjusting the gov shaft would do, as you probably saw in the assembly pics the gov shaft sleave in the pics was different than a 1.6L. It had a I believe he called it a "calibrated slot that affects the internal pressure so the timing is altered depending on how far you push the pedal", not an exact quote. Our 1.6s don't have the slot, all they have is a 'vent type hole" so the sleave can slide freely on the shaft. Seeing that I doubt any adjustment would have much or any affect unless you screw it way in or way out. Hope this helped.
anto
Glow Plug

Re: VE I P.

Post by anto »

hagar wrote:This is for Ireland : Would i notice a difference if turning it while the car is at idle?

Adjustment is behind I P sprocket SO ? please explain..

hagar.
Sorry wasnt thinking straight when i wrote that.
So that shaft adjusts my max rpm?
So by not setting it exactly where i found it i could have reduced my max rpm?
Does screwing the shaft into the pump increase or decrease the max rpm?

To rabbitman - im actually doing this on a peugeot 306 1.9 turbo diesel.
Much of what you VW guys do apply to me because we use the same pumps. The governor shaft has the little hole, i assume its the vent hole you describe.

Thanks
Anton
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

VE I P's BOSCH.

Post by hagar »

girlguidebiscuit Glow Plug and ALL : When I first saw these incredible Pictures , I was on Dial-Up , get it ? now I am on High-Speed. SO ? they will be saved here.

The way I remember he was in Holland that year. Look at his thumbs EH ? , make no mistake about it , that guy is not ALL thumbs.

He asked how to get specks for BOSCH VE I P's and I told him (out the back door) at a certified BOSCH service place. . That is how I got the numbers. (very difficult) they (bosch) do not like us DIY types , no profit.

hagar.
WorldA
Cetane Booster

Post by WorldA »

OP can you please post a pic of the tool you ground down to remove those little triangle bolts that hold the govener lever in place. Did you say those bolts are reverse thread? Also when removing the spitters on the end of the pump the first injector valves. are these reverse thread too??? Thanks for the great thread and all the time you put into helping everyone. i have my ip down to those triangle bolts and am having a tough time locating that particular tool. Thanks in advance.
82 vw rabbit truck 1.6 D
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The original poster posted the pictorial to the French section of the GTD forum and I imagine does not visit this site.

The bolts with the triangular head are normal thread. I used a 6-point socket that matched a flat (I forget which size - 12mm??) and ground three of the sides a bit extra using a chainsaw sharpening bit for a dremel. I am not sure what you mean by the spitters, but I imagine you are talking about the four delivery valves to which the metal lines attach. Those are also normal thread. The only reverse thread fastener that I'm aware of is the locknut for the governor shaft. If it is a hex nut as shown in this picture, then it is normal thread.

If it is a round nut with a slice in the center of the face of it then it is reverse thread and requires a specially modified socket.
WorldA
Cetane Booster

Post by WorldA »

Yea thats what i meant by splitters lol. Ok cool Ill try to grind a tool like that .Its difficult to imagine but im sure ill figure it out. Thanks for the info that the triangle bolts are reg thread and spitters. Preciate the time.
82 vw rabbit truck 1.6 D