81 dasher intermittent starting problem

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

floydr
Cetane Booster

81 dasher intermittent starting problem

Post by floydr »

I have a 1981 vw dasher that has an intermittent starting problem, happened last summer and this week. You turn the key all the lights that are supposed to light up and gauges work but when you turn the key to turn the motor over nothing no click no dimming of lights. I managed to get it started today after making sure the starter was securely bolted in place. By reaching down under the intake and exhaust manifolds to where the power lead goes the starter making sure it was still connected. then jigling the solenoid wire. This I cannot see where either the starter connection or solenoid wire is connected. I reconnected the ground after checking theses wires. hopped in and started the car.
hopefully there is a trick at getting a dasher starter out. I have a bentley manual. I don't want to have to support the engine and remove motor mounts if possible
maybe it the solenoid wire is just loose?
1981 VWDasher Diesel
WVO conversion sept 27,2006
Single tank conversion
12v injector line heaters, coolant fuel filter heater, and 12v fuel line heater
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

The Dasher, like a lot of other vehicles(Chevy S/B comes to mind!) has problems with cooking the starter solenoids, as assembled in the factory configuration.

A solenoid heat shield(can even be modified from one made for a Chevy!) will help, as will wrapping the exhaust manifold & first 2-3 ft of exhaust pipe with header wrap. The latter technique also slows down the destruction of the A/C hoses and cuts down on the 'heat soak' into the cab. Haven't figured out how to do it yet, but there's got to be a way to more effectively move engine & exhaust heat out of that portion of the engine compartment also. BTW the heat seems to work against the spring tension of the electrical connectors, as well as the internal solenoid mechanism.

A "Ford" starter relay mounted under the battery tray ensures that my starter solenoid gets full voltage & also reduces the load on the ignition switch.

Bosch sells the starter solenoids separately, but AFAIK only "Bosch Remanufactured" starters actually have a load test done on the solenoids. All the other mass rebuilders just 'mount it & paint it' if it goes "click" when 12V is applied; a stupid approach to renewing a starter that, by the factory layout, is always prone to heat failure. Of course a "Bosch-licensed" remanufacturer/rebuilder gets brand new Bosch OEM parts at a fraction of the cost most mass rebuilders would have to pay for that quality, let alone the actual new Bosch part.

Hope that broadens the view of the problem a bit, and also helps in the solution. Chris, over at the D.O.G. site, has said that Dasher gassers suffer similarly, so many Audis must also.

J.R.
floydr
Cetane Booster

Post by floydr »

Thanks, I will see if i can get a heat shield in place soon, The solenoid seems to be working ok for the time being.
later floyd
1981 VWDasher Diesel
Single tank conversion
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

I had a problem with my 81 Dasher wagon starter too, turned out to be a loose wire to the starter solenoid. They are such a PITA to get to. I don't remember what I did to fix it but I got it tight and reliable before I sold the car. I recall I could not see it, only grab it by touch (lost some skin in the process too).
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
floydr
Cetane Booster

Post by floydr »

yes definitely a pita to get to I will see about tightening it up when i put the heat shield in if not before.
later floyd
1981 VWDasher Diesel
Single tank conversion