Leaking 1.6 TD Injection Pump

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

punkvideo81
Cetane Booster

Leaking 1.6 TD Injection Pump

Post by punkvideo81 »

I just had a 1.6 td installed in my 1981 Rabbit Pickup, and the injection pump is leaking from the accelerator linkage seal at the top of the pump. The mechanic said it may swell up after a couple days driving and stop leaking (the engine was sitting for over a year), and he sprayed some BG in-force penetrating fluid around the area to help it. I have driven it 80 miles now (half city, half highway) and it is still leaking. I have a bad feeling I might need a new IP, or perhaps I can just replace the seal. Any suggestions?
'81 Rabbit p/u 1.6 TD
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

Well, you probably have the second easiest seal to replace on that pump.
you will need the top lid gasket NEW and the o-rings for the accel. shaft.
Take the nut off the linkage, watch close how the springs go on and mark the postion of the accel arm on the splines to the shaft, unbolt the accel cable linkage bracket from the top cover. reomve the bolts that hold the top cover, then push the shaft threw the top cover, inspect shaft and cover for wear, if all is good, replace o-rings and top cover seal, reassemble and fill pump with diesel threw the "out"hole on the pump.
Start car and check for leaks, if you have any luck with the springs you should be able to do this in about 1/2 a hour. If you have never done this maybe 1-2 hours. IF you are not that good with your hands then do not attempt but thats all it requires for repairs. You can get seal kits everywhere on the net. GO slow and keep everything clean. Wash off the top of the pump before opening. Repair your diesel leak before you burn the car to the ground. Diesel is not that flammable but once its ignited(hot turbo or exh manifold) you will be hard pressed to get out of the car before there is nothing left.(I know this from experience dodge cummins with a broken injector line left unfixed)
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

Sorry I just noticed your post "TD" 1.6 That I don't know about. Probably pretty easy still but there are some wierd thing on the top? THe TD guys will have to help with that. I have zero experience with TD VW IP's.
punkvideo81
Cetane Booster

Post by punkvideo81 »

ha ha ha - it was a lot of fun getting my hopes up and then realizing it probably wouldn't remove & replace the same as a n/a diesel injection pump. Well, thanks for your help anyway (I appreciate it), and I am sure a TD guy out there will know.
'81 Rabbit p/u 1.6 TD
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Yup, removal and replacement is the exactly the same, in fact the turbo top interchanges with the n/a one.

Andrew
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

SO its easy cheezie bro! Have at er!
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

One small point... if your turbo top includes the idle advancement feature on the cold start knob you will have an additional spring to pay attention as you pull the top lid off.

No big deal... just pay attention as you lift the top off... find the fast idle spring and unhook it, then press down on the throttle shaft and pull the lid off.

Another thing to check... the throttle bushing can wear as well as the o-ring... if it does your new o-ring may start to leak fairly quickly. Once you have the throttle linkage and springs apart see if you can rock the throttle shaft in the bushing... if so... the bushing is easy to replace while the lid is off.

Vince
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
punkvideo81
Cetane Booster

Post by punkvideo81 »

Ended up getting a modified IP from Giles, should have it installed in about a week, I am very excited about it...
'81 Rabbit p/u 1.6 TD