Pickup wont start

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

chrischris
Diesel Freak

Pickup wont start

Post by chrischris »

I went to leave my girlfriends house tonight at about 11:00pm. Rolled my truck down her driveway hill and waited for the glow plugs to warm up, only to get nothing but a spinning engine. The starter works fine, it just doesn't fire up.

At first I thought it could be clogged fuel filter. I had run one tank of B20 a few months ago and my last tank was B99. I had an extra filter and replaced it but got not new results.

I had a glow plug problem a the begining of winter and replaced all of them with Duraterms. The outside temperature was 57 F here in Seattle.

Could my fairly new Duraterms be shot and be the problem?
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

won't run

Post by Fatmobile »

I don't think they would all go at once and if a couple were still working it probably would have started eventually.
Could be the glow plug fuse or relay,... or the stop solenoid if it's a fuel issue.
Check for air in the fuel lines.
A vacuum gauge on the fuel lines will let you know if there is a fuel line restriction and an extra light can be used to tell you if the glow plugs are actually getting power.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
chrischris
Diesel Freak

Post by chrischris »

Yeah, I suppose that sounds right. There was not any smoke at all coming out of the exhaust and it is very unlikely that all of the GPs went on at the same time.

I don't know much about the solenoid on the injection pump. The Bentley manual shows the probable cause of no voltage at the stop solenoid on the injection pump as a possible problem to the engine no starting, however I can't seem to find any more information about this in the book! Any clues? Thanks
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

Test the stop solenoid voltage as well as voltage a the actual glow plug bus. Just because the dash LED comes on and goes off means nothing about the plugs themseleves. Might have a blown glow plug fusible link. I hooked my add-on voltmeter to the stop solenoid power wire, so that way I get an automatic indication that it is getting power. Likewise I wired a pair of LED windshield washer nozzles to the glow plug fuse, one to each side. That way those LEDs light up with the plugs and I can see if/when they are getting power.
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
chrischris
Diesel Freak

Post by chrischris »

Guys, the Bentley tells me to see "ENGINE SYSTEMS" for troubleshooting the stop solenoid, however I have combed the entire manual and can't find any info. I really have no idea what the stop solenoid does or where it is located. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks, -Chris
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

It is on the injector pump and shuts off the fuel flow when you turn off the key:
http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw/en ... jpump.html

Hint: Only thing with a wire going to it on the pump (aside from the throttle switches, if present, that operate the upshift light).
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
chrischris
Diesel Freak

Post by chrischris »

Ok, this has got to be the problem. I will gather up some tools and head over to check it out.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Typically, the engine will crank over quicker if no fuel is getting to the engine. Easy to check for fuel coming out of the IP is to loosen an injector line, crank the engine for 2 seconds see if fuel is leaking around the loose fitting. If no fuel, then you're not getting fuel out of the IP. Then check to see if you are getting fuel at the inlet of the IP (I have an aux pusher pump installed on my car so this is really easy to tell). If you have fuel there, most likely it's the stop solenoid. It's a simple fix to replace the fuel solenoid if that's the issue.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
chrischris
Diesel Freak

Post by chrischris »

Problem solved: air in lines. The previous owner installed a Racor fuel water seperator and one of the lines was loose and leaking.

However, on the far right injector there was a small black rub thing that sticks up. While I was removing the injector hose I must have ripped the rubber thing and now I have a fuel leak!

What a day... Anyone have any suggestions?
tawney
Turbo Charger

Post by tawney »

on the far right injector there was a small black rub thing that sticks up
That's just a plug; you could substitute a small piece of fuel hose with a plug in the end to keep it from leaking.

Steve
81 Pickup 1.6NA; '86 Cabriolet with 1.6 TD
chrischris
Diesel Freak

Post by chrischris »

I see. Where exactly can I find a fuel hose with a plug? I am having a hard time coming up with something that I can use around the house. Would a hardware or auto supply store be able to sell me what I need? Is the car safe to drive when it is leaking?
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

A piece of vacuum tubing with a screw of some sort in the end will get you by in the short term. You may need to find the braided coated fuel/vacuum line as it's more rated for high pressure and cap the end some how, or one of the factory caps. It's just a blank capped line that tawney mentioned.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
chrischris
Diesel Freak

Post by chrischris »

Can anyone suggest a place to find a original factory cap?

The cap basically broke in half. I took the top half and drilled out a section in the middle and a quick test showed that it seems to be working. I would still like to find a new cap, as my great fuel economy might not mean much when I am leaking fuel.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

plug

Post by Fatmobile »

You could put a small T in the line going to the next injector and run the end barb to that.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Where can you find a tee that small that isn't plastic?

Andrew