1.9 TD into 80 dasher

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hjalbert
Turbo Charger

1.9 TD into 80 dasher

Post by hjalbert »

I want to put a 1.9 td into my dasher and I will actually have the place (a garage) and the money to do so. problem is finding an engine. has any one swapped a 1.9 td into their car? what about a tdi? I do not know where to find a 1.9. It does not have to be rebuilt, as long as it is a good runner. I would even be willing to drive a distance to pick it up. one of the questions I have is if when you turn on the ac in a 1.9 or a tdi, do you notice a drag on the engine? thanks john
1980 two door dasher
1982 Isuzu Pup 4x4 diesel work truck
1968 red Baja Bug-stolen 4-12-2010
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

the canada 1.9 idi is quite fast, just a tad taller from what i here, but other wise a drop in job. Now the TDI would be quite the project, not worth it in my mind- i would rather have the mondern A3 body anyways partly due to my managers hateing my 85' golf ratteling into the corp office vallet parking ;)
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

the canada 1.9 idi is quite fast, just a tad taller from what i here, but other wise a drop in job. Now the TDI would be quite the project, not worth it in my mind- i would rather have the mondern A3 body anyways partly due to my managers hateing my 85' golf ratteling into the corp office vallet parking ;)
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
hjalbert
Turbo Charger

Post by hjalbert »

Has anyone heard of being able to run a tdi with an idi pump?
1980 two door dasher
dubdoc
Diesel Freak

Post by dubdoc »

I'm presently installing a 1.9 (AAZ) IDI turbodiesel into my 1981 Rabbit. It's a simple boltin, but the engines are only available in Canada. :roll: :wink:
DC Stewart
Milford Station
Nova Scotia, Canada
hjalbert
Turbo Charger

Post by hjalbert »

So if I was willing to drive to Nova Scotia I could get one? I have been wanting to go to Halifax/Dartmouth. Thanks
1980 two door dasher
dubdoc
Diesel Freak

Post by dubdoc »

hjalbert wrote:So if I was willing to drive to Nova Scotia I could get one? I have been wanting to go to Halifax/Dartmouth. Thanks
Anything's possible.
DC Stewart
Milford Station
Nova Scotia, Canada
Harry
Turbo Charger

Post by Harry »

So, dubdoc, or anyone in Canada who knows, How to find and acquire a TDI or TD engine in Canada?
punkvideo81
Cetane Booster

Post by punkvideo81 »

you can get one of these engines from zsimports.com, here in the USA.
'81 Rabbit p/u 1.6 TD
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

punkvideo81 wrote:you can get one of these engines from zsimports.com, here in the USA.
Yup, you can if you want to spend top dollar and get zero customer service and no warranty type backing of their products. $.02 I am very close to them, they have lots of stuff I'd enjoy and yet I wouldn't ever deal with them...
Hjalbert wrote:Has anyone heard of being able to run a tdi with an idi pump?
Well, sorta. An un-modified IDI pump will be abysmal on the TDI as the camplate ramps are all wrong. There are however many TDI mechanical pumps that can be used or parts used to modify an IDI pump. Lots of folks are running m-TDI engines (the "m" standing for mechanical) and so none of the electronics are required. Once one acquires the knowledge and parts an m-TDI install is just as easy as an IDI install.

Andrew