Question about inj pump

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Question about inj pump

Post by lyeinyoureye »

If I put in a kill switch for the pump solenoid, could I coast downhill with the engine in gear safely and no fuel being injected, or would I risk screwing up the inj pump since the engine's spinning but it's not operating?
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

The cut off solenoid just lets fuel bypass the pump with none being injected. It basically does not let the pressure rise enough to get through the injectors so all flows back to the tank via the return line.
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

BOSCH I P 107 A types.

Post by hagar »

hagar can see NO problem ---- I do that lot's of times ---remember the Vane pump is still running ----BUT read ALL by Andrew in Flagstaff AZ

hagar.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

lyeinyoureye - why would you want to cut the fuel off to the engine, keep the engine turning going downhill? Are you trying to get some sort of engine braking?
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

Awesome, thanks for the info! The more I look at it, the more robust VW's diesel setup seems.
82vdub wrote:lyeinyoureye - why would you want to cut the fuel off to the engine, keep the engine turning going downhill? Are you trying to get some sort of engine braking?
Yup, engine braking w/o fuel use.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

IMHO, I think that fuel consumption is so small with these cars that shutting if off or things like that probably don't matter much in the overall scheme of things. If you're not careful, you may overheat the engine and melt a piston. I know that the fuel actually cools the piston in a gas engine, and I can only suspect the same thing with a diesel engine.

I have too many to count
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

Iirc, a richer charge will help cool the intake charge at WOT for gassers to help avoid detonation, but for any load lesss than that it wouldn't do much. I don't see how I could melt anything in a diesel if there's no fuel in there. If anything it'd cool down the engine, which is what happens on my FI gasser, and from what I've heard, happens on TDIs once they get to their idle fuel cut for a significant amount of time.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Fues shut off.

Post by hagar »

a WARNING : the wire to valve may NOT be fused ----so insulate wires to switch--REAL GOOD.

hagar.
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

It's a diesel in what used to be a gasser, so iirc it should be fused (fusible link?) in some way, since I'm using the black wire to what used to be the ignition coil for it, but I should take a real look just to make sure.
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

I've always wanted to do this.... used to shut off the idle solenoid on my old VW van for the same reason.... mounted the pushbutton switch into a T handle shift knob.

Please let us know if you get any appreciable braking from it ??

thanks,

Vince
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

Sure thing. :)
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

The wire going to the pump is much smaller than the fuseable link so don't expect the fuseable link to save you.
I think hagar is right, for sure the Rabbits aren't fused going to the stop solenoid,... it's the same wiring for the gasser to the coil. I've swapped the engine bay wires, gasser to diesel conversion, a couple times.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Just curious as to the reason why VW wouldn't have fused the stop solenoid? I'm pretty sure it't not fused, I've put a wrench on the wire connection with the key on by mistake and didn't toast any fuses.

I have too many to count