Finally I scored the Rabbit I have been after

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

Finally I scored the Rabbit I have been after

Post by Diesel Dean »

I have been trying to buy this 1984 Rabbit diesel for about three years. It's been sitting in this guys yard and has never moved. I would stop by and ask if he would sell it about once a year and he always would say no. The last time I drove by the grass was all grown up and the house was for sale with a number in the window. I called one more time and he said he would sell. I asked how much and he said $100.00. I drove over to his new house that night and gave him the cash. He moved and had to get the car out of there because he was just renting. The car is all there with almost no rust. I will find out if it will run in the next few days. Just thought I would share my excitment with all of you.
1981 VW Diesel truck / 1984 Rabbit car welded together
tawney
Turbo Charger

Post by tawney »

We're all envious. Now you'll have to edit your list of Rabbits; three 81's and now an '84. Have fun getting it going!

Steve
81 Pickup 1.6NA; '86 Cabriolet with 1.6 TD
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

whats all this talk about rust? I have never had rust on any of my rigs and we get 100 inches of rain per year here
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Uh, rust in Oregon is nothing like rust in Michigan/midwest. I'm good friends with a mechanic that runs his own shop here in town. He won't hire a new mechanic that just came from the south or west because they don't know how to deal with rust and will break off lots of bolts. Drive your car for 4-5 months in a salt water mixture and you'll know a lot about rust and begin to long for something that isn't rusted.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

Post by Diesel Dean »

Rust here is also known as Michigan loc-tight it's free but takes a few years to work :lol: I have been fighting off a bee's nest before I can bring the car home. I did see the the injectors say reman for VW on the side so they must be almost new. The head has four thimble shaped bumps on the front left side of the head. I have been told this means it's a turbo head. Anybody have any info on that? I am thinking it could be a turbo block I guess I won't know till I look for oil injectors in the engine.
Dean
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

In addition to the 4 bumps on the head question, I'd also like to know if there is a way to identify a turbo block from the outside (besides the obvious turbo manifold, valve cover, IP etc).
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

Post by Diesel Dean »

The block has CR stamped on the front right side I am almost sure it's not a turbo block but the head could be a turbo. The head gasket is the two hole type. I thought the hole type was for a hydraulic head. This is a mechanical head and block. Could that gasket caused damage the the engine? (Block off oil passage in the head?)
Thanks Dean.
tawney
Turbo Charger

Post by tawney »

The Bentley says that CY is the engine code for the turbo; CR is an '81 or '82 standard diesel. I know that on this forum somewhere there's a picture and explanation of the differences between the turbo/non turbo heads, but I couldn't find it.
81 Pickup 1.6NA; '86 Cabriolet with 1.6 TD
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Some gasket makers use notches, some use holes.
Make sure the oil return hole in the front of the gasket is the same size as your front oil return hole, so you don't end up with a 1.5 gasket.
The hydrolic head gasket has the notches to the left of the oil return passage,... with the word OBEN (top) next to them to let you know which side of the oil return it sits on.
The solid lifter has the notches/holes to the right of center.... and still says OBEN next to them.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

Well mine is a solid and runs on the left side of the oil passage. I found it depends which head gasket company you buy from. Just do whatever the headgasket says. It will say on it which side is up. I have a goetze one that runs left of the oil passage and no way its for a hydralic it would have two oil return ports on it.
The VW RABBIT the most important car for VW second only to the BUG.

my band..
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Barrel-Mu ... 9006395026
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Rust.

Post by hagar »

RUST ---what RUST --eh ? ---why is my Rabbit girlfriend called BONDO ?--yes you are allowed 3 guesses.

Michigan Loc-Tite ? --that one takes gold medal this week at hagar's. ---I might wet myself laughing ---how right to the point it is.

now hagar is so old that he knows a time when SALT was used to seal high pressure steam line's

hagar.
Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

Post by Diesel Dean »

Well I took the head off and three of the head bolt snaped off. They snaped off at the top of the bolt so I can still get a hold of them. They all came out hard and had white powder on them. I hit the bolts on top to shock them then I used PB blaster. If I can't get them out will a small propane torch work the heat them up? Should I heat the bolt or the block.
Thanks Dean
punkvideo81
Cetane Booster

Post by punkvideo81 »

Please post some pics of this car for us. Congrats on the bargain!
'81 Rabbit p/u 1.6 TD
Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

Post by Diesel Dean »

I am not a computer wizz and not sure how to post pics. If somebody could help me I can send them to an e mail address. I will show all of my cars. The one I just bought will be the blue one.
Thanks Dean
Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

Post by Diesel Dean »

ImageI have it running now. I honend out the cylinders and used std rings,head gasket,rod bearings, and new head bolts. I set the timming and forgot to tighten the 12mm bolt in the end of the injection pump. I cranked the starter for a long time before I realized the bolt was not tight. The fuel will not come out of the lines if that 12 mm bolt is not thight. Are my pics showing up? I looked at this sight at work and my pics were not showing up. There should be a pic of the blue car on this post.
Dean