diesel engine removal+mark timing

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

surfing07
Glow Plug

diesel engine removal+mark timing

Post by surfing07 »

Hello all, I own a 81' vw caddy 1.6 diesel. I am going to be rebuilding the engine and would like to know how to mark the timing for the injection pump, before I remove any pulleys or the pump itself. Also would like to know if I should mark the crank pulley before removal. Thanks, E
tawney
Turbo Charger

Post by tawney »

If you're rebuilding: best bet is to fork over a bit of cash for the Bentley Service Manual, check Ebay for VW diesel; they're about $30 or so. Well worth it! But the simple answer to your question is that you don't really need to mark anything before dissassembly: The pump sprocket has a round punch mark on the engine side of one of the teeth that lines up with a small groove in the top of the pump bracket when the crank is at tdc on #1. There's another groove on the pump housing that lines up with the groove on the pump bracket. TDC on the crank can be confirmed by looking through the inspection hole on the top of the transmission when the punched tooth of the pump sprocket is at or near the groove on the pump bracket.

Good luck on the re-build. (The Bentley manual, and this forum, will reduce the quantity of good luck required for satisfying results. :) )

Steve
81 Pickup 1.6NA; '86 Cabriolet with 1.6 TD
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

If you're doing a complete rebuild, the timing aspect is pretty straight forward. Make sure you have the IP timing gauge, correct cam locking tool and IP locking tool as well. Will make the task much more accurate.

Also read this thread on getting the timing mark on the flywheel correct. I have no clue how the mechanic 60k miles ago got the IP timed properly. When I went to replace my timing belt, my flywheel was no where near TDC to put it back together.

viewtopic.php?t=6755&highlight=flywheel
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count