Best year/ model for WVO

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

ran440
Glow Plug

Best year/ model for WVO

Post by ran440 »

Newbie here
I am in the process of finding a VW for the purpose of running WVO. Not sure what the best year diesel would be for this. I know some injectors and pumps are more WVO friendly.
BTW I am new to VWs, but not to diesels or vegie oil. I am a home brewer and run my 99 Ford PSD on 100% home brew. :D
Thanks,
Randy
VW cat
Turbo Charger

Post by VW cat »

I have never heard of any preference on the pre TDI diesels. Whether it's turbocharged or not, early or late. I'm hoping someone else will comment on this too. Phil
Josh
Turbo Charger

Post by Josh »

There's no preference for me; I've turbo 1.6's, na 1.6's, 1.5 na's... rabbits, quantums, golfs, vanagons...

If you can't get a quantum that's in good shape, it might be easier to go with the rabbit/golf platform in the long run, simply by virtue of it's more readily available (unrelated to biodiesel) parts.

From the point of view of modification, there's no significant differences. Get what you can for as affordably as you can, and go from there.
ran440
Glow Plug

Post by ran440 »

Great. That really helps.
Thanks guys,
Randy
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I've only done conversions on Rabbits.
On my last conversion I ran the fuel lines through the rocker panel, under the passenger side door.
This is much easier on the 2 door Rabbit.
I've heard this can be done on the A2 Golf/Jetta as well.
No crap hanging under the car, no hot lines inside the car.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.