Deleting my Air Conditioning

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

bbob203
Turbo Charger

Re: Deleting my Air Conditioning

Post by bbob203 »

That's good to know anytime you have to tear into the dash your bound to break something and cuss a whole lot.
91 jetta gl na german built
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Re:

Post by bbob203 »

bscutt wrote:bear in mind a functioning AC will provides dehumidification for the windshield on those nasty rainy days, a very nice safety feature. Typically these AC systems become nonfunctional because an O-ring has failed or other slow leaks have caused all the freon to leak out. Once the level gets low enough the compressor won't engage due to the low presure switch doing its job.

30 years ago I would have gone along with removing the AC but not anymore, too many benefits to me.

But if you really want to do it to save weight and make more room under the hood, you should remove the compressor which may involve significant work changing brackets and pulleys, locating different belts, etc. removing the condensor is also a pain. Personanally I'd just unplug the compressor (it won't cut on anyway if it's out of freon) and just leave it alone. The next owner might like to have working AC and removing it makes that very difficult.
It would be nice for this reason. Except in the rain when I need it if I turn it on my battery light goes on headlights dim and squeal like a pig. Really about at wits end with it.
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

I went with an alt from my 83 GTI and the stock brackets. The alt was over 100,000 miles old and I put 35,000 miles with this setup and it failed yesterday, but I never had to retension the belt in those 35,000 miles. All you have to do is cut about 1/2 inch off the mounting boss of this alt and use appropriate thickness of washers on the other side to have the correct spacing. I added the pigtail from the GTI and drilled out the hole in the top so the original alt bolt can go through.

If I want to go back to a/c then I remove this and bolt on the original alt and tensioner.
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

bbob203 wrote:
bscutt wrote:bear in mind a functioning AC will provides dehumidification for the windshield on those nasty rainy days, a very nice safety feature.
It would be nice for this reason. Except in the rain when I need it if I turn it on my battery light goes on headlights dim and squeal like a pig. Really about at wits end with it.
The defroster will work without the AC if the heater control is set a bit higher.

If your AC clutch is engaging, the system may still have pressure. You might want to pull the plug to the compressor clutch, so the pulley will freewheel.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

I'm now on a mission to track down the elusive 191-825-250a(01c) vbelt splash guard. Read a few places said this can really help.
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

I have read on other forums it hasn't been made in 20 years. You may find one but it will not be new. If you could post a pic/dimentions I have guys that do sheet metal work that would make them cheap I am sure.
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

the man 53 wrote:Image

I went with an alt from my 83 GTI and the stock brackets. The alt was over 100,000 miles old and I put 35,000 miles with this setup and it failed yesterday, but I never had to retension the belt in those 35,000 miles. All you have to do is cut about 1/2 inch off the mounting boss of this alt and use appropriate thickness of washers on the other side to have the correct spacing. I added the pigtail from the GTI and drilled out the hole in the top so the original alt bolt can go through.

If I want to go back to a/c then I remove this and bolt on the original alt and tensioner.
That's a slick setup what did you use to make that custom mount/bracket thing?
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

All I did was drill the gasser alt to fit the diesel alt bolt. I also cut the top thick mount to get the correct spacing. If you had the correct spacing on the pulley you won't need to do that.

The cast mount is the A/C mk2 stock mount.

The only thing that is different is I drilled 3 holes in a piece of 1/8" or 3/16" x 1" flat stock and bolted it to the stock A/C mount with 2 of the holes. The other hole I ran a bolt through and attached a turnbuckle that was long enough to tension the belt. IIRC it was an Aluminum turnbuckle 5/16 threads and it is 6 to 9 inches adjustable.
You should be able to see it in the pics. The top of the cast mount IIRC is where the top of the a/c alt would bolt and it is the same spot where this alt bolts up on top.
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

When you took out your a/c did you take everything out or just everything forward the firewall?

p.s. what valve cover is that?
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

That looks like a Corrado G60 valve cover - cast aluminum
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

I left it all in there as I still want A/C someday. I just ziptied most of the lines up to the core support.

VC is a G60 engine cover
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

How do I remove the refrigerant safely?
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

If it still is in there you are supposed to vacuum it out. Mine had rotted lines and no stuff was in it. You can just hold your breath and unscrew it from the compressor as I have seen guys do that. Freon is supposed to be heavier than air and it will sink. I would still be in a well ventalated area doing that.

Plus I have no idea on the laws of doing that. I have seen guys do it, but don't know if they should have or not.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

To remove the refrigerant properly you would need an A/C refrigerant service machine. You could bring the car somewhere and have someone evacuate the system for you. That's the proper way of doing it, but letting the refrigerant out also works. Some people probably hate me for making that comment.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

In NY, my county required certified removal for a home refrigerator. I couldn't afford it at the time... I took the fridge 200yds to the next county and they tossed it into the back of the garbage truck: crunch-crunch, hiss-hiss. :oops:
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold