tensioner stud size

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

gabberdave
Glow Plug

tensioner stud size

Post by gabberdave »

I have the head off an '80 caddy (1.5L engine) to replace the headgasket. I was thinking of replacing the timing belt tensioner stud as the head has the original 5xmm stud which means I have to pull the bolts from the right mount and jack up the engine to get the tensioner off. I'd like to replace it with a shorter stud, however the 10x40mm I got from an auto parts place (which listed it as the stud for this engine) seems a few mms short - it appears that the nut will have a thread or two exposed inside when the stud is in the head.

Does anyone know the correct length for this stud? Thinking that the parts house might not have distinguished between gas and diesel, does anyone know whether the gas and diesel versions are different?

many thanks
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

What about double nutting the stud, then unscrew the stud to remove the stud and tensioner as one "piece"? If there's enough threads sticking out of the tensioner to put another nut on it, this would be a simple 2 minute process to change the tensioner. That is, unless the stud itself is too long to get the stud/tensioner out as one piece.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
idhoho
Turbo Charger

Post by idhoho »

You can also put a floor jack under the oil pan, lift the engine just a smidgen to get the tensioner off of the original stud. Nice thing about rubber- it is stretchy!