Temp sensor

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

MPalm
Turbo Charger

Temp sensor

Post by MPalm »

We have a Golf IV TDI in the family and it has some issues...It runs the glowplugs randomly at start, no differense if the engine is cold or hot. This sounds like a faulty temp sensor, right?
Sometimes it gets a higher idle too, as if the engine was cold even if it isn´t (about 1100rpm).

My question is:
Is the glowplug trigger circuit the same that controls the higher idle, that should be the ECU?
The sensor has 4 wires going to it, any ideas of where they go to? A wiring diagram would be nice :wink:
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

Just to close the loop:
I changed the coolant temperature sensor (CTS) and the car has worked perfectly for a couple of days now.
The CTS is actually two sensors in one, one circuit for the ECU that controls wether to run the GP´s or not and the other for the temp gauge inte instrument cluster.
I´m not sure if the higher idle had anything to do with the sensor but since one of the circuits runs to the ECU it´s possible, the idle has been perfect after the CTS change.
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km