IP governor adjustment

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Jake_Speed
Glow Plug

IP governor adjustment

Post by Jake_Speed »

Rebuilt and resealed the IP on my 92 Golf N/A... runs great, but there's a slight problem at idle. Idle speed is very steady, but when I engage the clutch, it drops too low as if it's not getting enough fuel. I'm just wondering if this could be a governor adjustment issue.... would backing out the governer shaft result in greater fueling at the lower rpm end? Anyone ever tweaked the governor? TIA...

Jake
VanagonExpress

Post by VanagonExpress »

You can adjust things

10mm will loosen the nut to allow you to turn the idle up a bit

13 mm on the side, slotted screw driver to tweek the richment-----
turn the idle up or down accordingly

you are not going to hurt anything

I had my IP rebuilder turn DOWN the full throttle govn'r on my Vanagon
we put on a turbo and did not want it running beyond 4800
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

When you rebuilt the pump did you remove the governor assembly (the shaft with the left-hand treads and left-hand locknut... often sealed with a drop of yellow paint) ??

I'm told it's a precision setting that affects how the governor behaves... if you did remove it without measuring its position first you might want to try a half turn in one direction or the other and see what the impact is. Again, don't forget it's a left-hand thread !!

Another possibility is throttle shaft indexing... again if it's not marked really clearly before disassembly its easy to get it a notch out in one direction or the other... and that would definately impact how it responds to idle loads.

Just a couple of random thoughts...

Vince
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs