Turbo oil return - tap the block?

Moderator: Fatmobile

jolotter
Diesel Freak

Turbo oil return - tap the block?

Post by jolotter »

I'm installing a 1.6TD in place of the original waterboxer engine. Is there any reason why I couldn't tap one of the unused bosses on the block, just above the oilpan, for the turbo oil return? I know it wouldn't be as big as the AAZ oil return but I think I could tap in a brass fitting with a similar ID to the stock 1.6 return.

This is my last stumbling block before the swap.

Oh, and I don't want to tap the pan because I think down the road I want to put in a 1.9 and use the pan for that.

Johann
83.5 Westy 1.6 TD
93 1.9TD engine in the shed
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The only issue I see is that you will have a very difficult time maintaining the necessary continuous downhill run by the time the center cartridge is properly clocked. For that reason, I feel the pan is the way to go.

Andrew
jolotter
Diesel Freak

Post by jolotter »

I'm not maried to the idea of tapping the block, but to aid in the vertical run, I could tap a brass elbow right into the trbo oil drain flange. That would put me about another 8mm uphill. I'll look at the engine tomorrow and see how much slope I'd get.

Johann
83.5 Westy 1.6 TD
93 1.9TD engine in the shed
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

http://members.shaw.ca/vwdiesels/TD_Con ... index.html

I would do something similar to this except I would use a thicker piece of metal and drill and tap it at an angle rather than use a 90° elbow. Place it between pan bolt holes so you can still access all of them. Even a piece of pipe cut at a 45° angle and then welded to a piece of plate and tapped to accept a fitting would work well.

Andrew