My caddy project

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

ahistand
Diesel Freak

My caddy project

Post by ahistand »

This is my 1981 Caddy. Got it as a piece that had been sitting for about ten years. 1.6NA was totally worn out and had a crank timing gear pulley stripped on the crank. I tore out the interior, re-did that with new carpet, sound deadening everywhere, dyed door panels and dash, and lots of other details. Seats are totally original, and in great shape, but the foam is a little sacked out and I really want a set of gray GLI Recaros, but haven't found any local yet.

Rebuilt the 1.6NA, oversize pistons, re-sealed injection pump, governor mod, 4-speed tranny (GP code) highest gear ratios for a 4-speed equals nice low RPMs while cruising.

Body has worn out paint, a bad paint job from years ago....maybe some day I'll paint it. Lots of scratches and plenty of dings. GTI fender flares, Mini Cooper 15" wheels. Right now suspension is all stock, but I'm getting to that. It needs new shocks all around and could use an extra spring out back. It also needs a new windshield, but I haven't gotten around to that yet either. Rear bumper is off right now, it is a nice heavy aftermarket steel one, but it is twisted a bit from being rear-ended, so I am trying to find someone who has a hot enough torch to heat it up and bend it back. The bed is very wavy, and rusty, so I will at some point Rhino-Line it for looks and protection. The truck had no cancer anywhere except for a quarter size hole in the floor. Shock towers are perfect.

So I'll be adding A/C at some point, and I now have a 1.6TD that I am rebuilding for this truck. here's a few pictures.

More to come later!
ahistand
Diesel Freak

caddy

Post by ahistand »

Here's what's going in it as soon as I get it rebuilt. Came out of a Quantum, so I am needing a few little parts for the changeover.

82rabbitdiesel
Diesel Freak

Post by 82rabbitdiesel »

are you planning on lifting or lowering it? i'm gonna try 2-3 inch lift on mine. i think it looses appeal to me to see a lowered truck but that's just me, to each his own. looks real good w/ the flares and wheel combo. post more pics!!
Carlos Galvos wrote: The steering wheel(81VWRabbit L) is pleasant to grip, and the instrumentation is cleanly and logically laid out in a manner one would expect from a fine European car.(posted on EBAY)
82 Rabbit Diesel, 2" lift, "45 mpg average"
ahistand
Diesel Freak

lifting

Post by ahistand »

At this point I am not planning to change the ride height either way. Definitely do not want to lower it. I wouldn't mind lifting it at some point, maybe only a couple of inches, but then I would have to re-evaluate the tire size because the ones that are on there would probably look funny if it were any higher. The rear end isn't sagging, but if you put an engine lonblock in the back its drooping pretty good. So I want to put an extra leaf spring or a helper spring out back at some point. For now up front I am just going to put a set of Boge TurboGas struts in with new strut bearings.

My focus right now is to get it into a nice daily driver, get the little stuff worked out like annoying rattles, install radio, get new windshield, find a set of armrests, etc. It is infinitely more tolerable as a modern vehicle now that I took the time to sound-deaden the whole interior and replace the old nasty stinky carpet, all that stuff. I drove a buddy's caddy not too long ago, and it si completely stock on the inside and I felt like I was inside a tin-can paint mixing machine! Before next summer A/C is high on the priority list.
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Image Nice truck. I've never seen a quantum so that "crooked" oil filter adapter and cooler is interesting.

Get to work and post some more pics!
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
ahistand
Diesel Freak

TD motor

Post by ahistand »

Yeah the Quantum oil filter bracket is tilted so it clears the left motor mount I think. I'll have to switch that of course. I have the TD motor torn down all the way now. It looks like it is not the low-mileage motor I thought it was. The bores are WAY out of spec, at some point the pistons hit the valves, and the valves themselves are worn out. SO, next oversize pistons are on order, re-bore is in the works, and I am still assessing the needs of the head. Someone shaved about .020" off the ends of all the valve stems, I suppose in order to gain more clearance maybe because they were too cheap to buy the correct shims or something. Valve heads are worn anyways.
The turbo also has lots of play and needs to be re-built, an easy job. On the plus side, the head has no cracks, is perfectly flat, the cam looks perfect and the crank looks perfect. I am just rebuilding this motor slowly, because its not a huge priority right now as I have tons of other projects going on at the same time. But I will post more pics.