98 tdi new turbo

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

vano7
Cetane Booster

98 tdi new turbo

Post by vano7 »

turbo works great when you first start engine when it gets warm turbo does not work whats up with that
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Is your check eng light on?

you need to scan for codes with Vag/com.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
vano7
Cetane Booster

98 jetta new turbo

Post by vano7 »

Yes the check engine light is on . vag com check codes are 01050-glow plug monitoring 35-10---- intermittent second code 00522-engine coolant temperature sensor G62 30-00- open or short to b+ what does it all mean .Replaced temp senser still have same problem , turbo works when cold , wont work when hot, something is telling it not to engage when warm.
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Did the 0522 go away after you replaced the sensor?

Are you sure the turbo is quitting or are you just assuming that? Does the engine start lacking power? Maf sensor is common for lacking power. Try unplugging it and see if it then runs better. (that'll trigger a code.)

Lack of power could also be clogged intake. If you've never cleaned it or if you dont know when it was cleaned then just do it. Intake cleaning is a maintance item you should do on a schedule.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
vano7
Cetane Booster

NEW turbo

Post by vano7 »

Broke a belt , bent some vavles.rebuilt head cleaned intake , put new turbo in .When you first start the car turbo will work for a few minutes then it won't engage. if you stop the car and restart it, itdoes the same thing all over again. I did not know about the maf i will check that tomorrow. 0522 i will have to hook it back up to the vag com and see.When the tubo works it realy kicks in stong when it doesnt you have very little power

vano7
4 merc
1 tdi
vano7
Cetane Booster

Post by vano7 »

Got it figured out thanks for the help coolair. Problem was the fuel filter .Here is the story ,when I first started to blend fuel, I used the filtering system they said would work on the web, so that is what I built .Well soon to find out there system did not work, and yes I had a tank full of fryer crud. So I drain the best I could without taking the tank off, figured I would catch the rest in the filter, but kept clogging 28 doller filters, so I took and bypassed the filter with a in line filter . Well aparently the system is puresurised and the way I had it bypassed ,was straight in and straight out to the tank, bypassing the check valve on the old filter.So I hooked up the old filter and look out when you step on pedal she rocks like it was brand new.Well I have 98% of the crap out of the tank so going to buy a filter and put it in the trunk just fo back up. I completly revamped the filtering on my fill station. The one thing that I have really learn about wvo and blending it is, clean clean clean and clean before you put in the vehicle or your just looking for problems. Running it threw just regular filters does not work, I bought a centerfuge and I filter the hell out of it before I blend it, so far it is working great

4 mercedes
1 tdi jetta
vano7
vano7
Cetane Booster

New turbo

Post by vano7 »

Well I was worng on that fix coolair, so back to the drawing board. I have replaced both sending units in the in the cooling system, still have the same codes comming up. Going to replace the temp sending unit in the cylinder head next. I know I have a bad ignition switch you think that could be the problem . I bought a new one just have not had time to put it in.

vano7
4 merc
1 jetta tdi
vano7
Cetane Booster

Put 2 new sending units in

Post by vano7 »

Ok cooling codes are gone, Now I Iam getting a intake manifold presure code 00575 17-10 differince Intermittent code that is comming up. I think your right about the turbo not going out, I think it might be working, but it needs to be ajusted. Going to keep playing tell I get it right. This is going to be a little tough, because I really don't have alot of experience with turbos.

4 merc
1 jetta

vano7
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

There is a solenoid for controlling boost. (Boost Pressure Control Solenoid Valve) Its called N75 and is on the firewall. Check that the hoses to it are connected and dont have any vacuum leaks or blockages.

The solenoid itself can fail also. OUTPUT TESTS in Vag-com can make a check of N75. The test cycles on the N75 solenoid so you can check it in the garage.

A better check of N75 would be in operation on the street. Use your vag com in measuring block 11 and log the data as you accelerate in 4th from 1500 to 4000 rpm.

You should see the requested boost match the delivered boost almost exactly.

There's also a chance that your turbo vanes are sticking boost position. If N75 is working but Delivered Boost is out of control and doesn't match requested boost this might be the case.
Richard
85 Jetta TD

vano7
Cetane Booster

new turbo

Post by vano7 »

Well coolair Iam not real formiliar with vag com the system is new to me still trying to understand how it works , and how read all the program . I have the system but not the instruction manual . Going to try and figure out what your saying .Hang in there i will let you know what happens.

4 merc
1 tdi
vano7