$400 USD/85 Jetta 1.6TD/My Rebuild Journey

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

nicknack2
Diesel Freak

$400 USD/85 Jetta 1.6TD/My Rebuild Journey

Post by nicknack2 »

Guy I wish I had started earlier posting about my project, he is a 85 Jetta 1.6TD, I pulled the engine out of the car already, while doing that I striped all the inner CV joints bolts so I ended up grinding them off well thats a different story, the engine has been striped from all accesories already, and yesterday I removed the turbo and the intake from the back of the engine, I was not able to remove the exhaust header, seems like my 13MM wrench/sockets (even the 1/4 drive) is too big for the bottom part of the header. After I removed those parts Im starting to think that I did not need a rebuilt, I don't see lots of oil in the intake, but engine did smoked alot and I could see the blowby blowing hard from the valve cover, I did not do any testingbefore startin the tear down, but the car ran... in the front of the engine the cam and its pulley are off, the intermediate shaft is off... I see some damage on the bearings... I" post pictures tomorow if you guys got any recomendations let me know I will be posting daily on the progress of the process.. and by the way I paid $400 USD for the mighty Jetta
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Sometimes rusty nuts can get smaller.
Try some 1/2" 6 point tools on them, that should fit tight.

The word "header" is confusing me. I'm not exactly sure which bolts you are talking about,... the ones holding the exhaust manifold to the head? I think those are 12mm,... most of the time.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
nicknack2
Diesel Freak

Post by nicknack2 »

I meant the exhaust manifold nuts, the problem I'm having is that I can't fit the wrench nor socket between the nuts and the exhaust manifold(Im talking about the nuts on the bottom, the nuts on the top/upper nuts are already out) seems like the nuts are too close to the exhaust manifold...
ahistand
Diesel Freak

TD

Post by ahistand »

Sounds like you and I are into approximately the same projects. If you look below your post you'll see my Caddy project with 1.6TD. I'm in the process of rebuilding.

If you say the motor had lots of blow-by and smoke, it probably needs rebuilt. Especially if you took the intermediate shaft out and saw bad bearings there already.

My motor had lots of blow-by, and some smoke, and when I tore it apart, I found it to have totally worn pistons, cylinder wall clearance .009" out of spec, and valves that had hit pistons at some point. Compression was crap. So its getting new everything. However, my rod and mains had virtually no detectable wear, but the intermediate shaft bearings are shot.
nicknack2
Diesel Freak

Post by nicknack2 »

I" post pictures later, but I remember talking to Jack and he mentioned that usually the bottom end of the engine stays in good shape after many many miles just the cylinder walls, pistons and some head work is required. for the re build, have you bought a rebuid kit? Im sure you can get lots of help down in the Houston area, Im originally from Odessa, tx and lived in El Paso before coming to Nogales,AZ
nicknack2
Diesel Freak

Post by nicknack2 »

jackfrost1031
Cetane Booster

Post by jackfrost1031 »

nicknack2 wrote:Image
Those would be classicly shot bearings.
88 Fox

Diesel Fox - Motor Stripped
nicknack2
Diesel Freak

I

Post by nicknack2 »

I was trying to post some pictures
Last edited by nicknack2 on Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nicknack2
Diesel Freak

Re: posting pics

Post by nicknack2 »

guy how pictures can be posted I been scratching my head for two days and still can't post... :cry:
nicknack2
Diesel Freak

pictures

Post by nicknack2 »

Jackfrost 1031, how did u do that?, the picture was there and then went away...
jackfrost1031
Cetane Booster

Re: pictures

Post by jackfrost1031 »

nicknack2 wrote:Jackfrost 1031, how did u do that?, the picture was there and then went away...
It looks like TDI club found out that it was linked to on here and they didn't like it. I would suggest an account with photobucker (http://photobucket.com)

The syntax for pixture posting is this:

[ img ] http://yourwebsite.com/image.jpg [/ img ]

Take out the spaces so that the img and brackets are closer together and it should work.
88 Fox

Diesel Fox - Motor Stripped
nicknack2
Diesel Freak

intermediateshaft picture

Post by nicknack2 »

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Good picture.
What are we supposed to be looking at?
The chipped out I-shaft bearings,... or the broken waterpump bolts? :)
How many miles on this engine? 168,000?
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
nicknack2
Diesel Freak

Uknown

Post by nicknack2 »

Fatmobile.. you can see a little of both the broken studs of the half pump and the messed up intemediate bearing , I actually have a better picture of both that I be posting later, is just that I just learned how to post pictures, thanks to jackfrost1031. the Jetta has to have well over one hundred thousand miles, as we all know the odometers of this cars break about 90,000 miles in my case I bought my project with a broken odometer reading abot 95,000... hey Fatmobile Im going to need all the help I can get making this Jetta as lovely as some of the ones I seen in the forum I won't stop till he is like new and I heard you are a "head" guru/master... please help me ok??
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Welll,... I am the Global moderator and all,... but there has been some people beating me to the punch when it comes to helping people out here lately.
I'll try to help you out, but there is a good chance someones going to come on here and help you out before I get a chance :lol: .

Learning to post pictures is a great step.... and once you learn, it's easy.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.