$400 USD/85 Jetta 1.6TD/My Rebuild Journey

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

nicknack2
Diesel Freak

pictures of intake and turbo

Post by nicknack2 »

Guys, here you will find some pictures of the intake manifold and the turbo on the exhaust side. :lol:
nicknack2
Diesel Freak

TURBO PICTURE...

Post by nicknack2 »

I'm sure Hagar's turbo does not look anything like the one above, Hagar if you get around to it, could you post pictures of your turbo, after all the "hillbilly TUNING" your exhaust must be lean w/o much soth, your turbo must be looking nice and clean! :wink:
nicknack2
Diesel Freak

Post by nicknack2 »

two more pics my engine on my "hillbilly" engine stand and my intershaft bearing/ 1/2 water pump with broken studs.. :oops:

engine on "hillbilly" stand!
nicknack2
Diesel Freak

Cam Pics

Post by nicknack2 »

All accesories have been remove from the engine, Other than the crankshaft sproket and clutch stuff, all Head bolts are off minus one, the head on the torx got striped, Im still thinkering on how to remove the last head bolt, so I can separate the head from the engine and proceed with the lower end disassembly and finally send the engine to the machinist.
here are some pics of the cam.
#s 1-2 Lobes

#s 3-4 Lobes

Full Cam

Last edited by nicknack2 on Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nicknack2
Diesel Freak

NAKED Engine

Post by nicknack2 »

here 3 more pics of engine and head.
Front
Rear
Mechanical Head
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Re: Cam Pics

Post by CoolAirVw »

nicknack2 wrote: all Head bolts are off minus one, the head on the torx got striped, Im still thinkering on how to remove the last head bolt
Just use a drill bit the same size as the shaft of the bolt you probably have 12mm head bolts???? Drill into the head of the bolt till the head of the bolt falls off then after you get the head off use vise grips on the bolt or weld a nut on it or use a stud extracter.

OOOPS! other pics showed you got the head off. I'll leave above info up for future generations. How did ya end up getting the bolt out?
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
nicknack2
Diesel Freak

Post by nicknack2 »

Coolairvw, the head is not off, the picture was taken from the top, the engine still attached to it
Wolfsbur
Glow Plug

Post by Wolfsbur »

You posted "the head on the torx got striped"

Did you use a Torx or triple square to remove the head bolts?

The pump bolts have always busted for me as well--on VW gassers too. I spend the few extra dollars for the pump AND housing.

Keep at it!
nicknack2
Diesel Freak

Post by nicknack2 »

I meant to say the head bolts(which are torx) came all out but one, which I striped, I used torx to remove them(try any ways) I dont think they are triple square are they??
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

nicknack2 wrote:I meant to say the head bolts(which are torx) came all out but one, which I striped, I used torx to remove them(try any ways) I dont think they are triple square are they??
Mine are triple square. :lol:
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Mine too :lol:
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
nicknack2
Diesel Freak

Post by nicknack2 »

can you guys post a pictures of the head bolts??? could I be wrong?, but all the other bolts came off with the Torx, I tried drilling it all day today with no luck, I think that I just going to take it to the machine shop and have them remove the last bolt and split the engine from the head...
nicknack2
Diesel Freak

TRIPLE SQUARE....

Post by nicknack2 »

can u guys post/take a picture of the triple square tool, that way I'll know what u guys talking abouty/what the triple square tool looks like.
Wolfsbur
Glow Plug

Post by Wolfsbur »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Square_screws

This will give you a good idea of what they look like compared to Torx.

The 12 point (or Triple Square) is what VW used before Poly-Drive and after internal Hex Head for head bolts.

12 point is also used on your inner CV to trans flange bolts.
nicknack2
Diesel Freak

WRONG TOOL FROM THE VERY START

Post by nicknack2 »

Guys, no wonder why I striped some of the CV bolts too!, I have been using a Torx it only has six points... :cry: , I think that my best bet is to weld a 15 or even a 17 MM bolt to the head of the stripped head bolt and remove it that way :roll: