Caddy mk2

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

MPalm
Turbo Charger

Caddy mk2

Post by MPalm »

I thought I could make a project thread about my Skoda Pick-Up (also sold as VW Caddy), maybe someone brings them to the US some day :wink:

It´s a -99 with a 1.9 N/A AEF-code VW IDI engine.
Today I had to replace some sheetmetal due to rust, yep, rust on a car thats 8yrs old. Thanks for putting salt on the roads :evil:
It´s on the inner wall of the bed, where the shocks are mounted.
This is what it looked like when the rusty bit was off:
The shock is attached to a 3mm plate seen in the middle of the hole, that plate is spotwelded to the inner sheetmetal.

Next is halfway, with a new piece in place, I drilled 10 holes on it to be able to weld the shock plate to it.

Pics were taken with a cell cam, I forgot to bring my camera.
For me it´s more important that the welds or whatever I´m working with works well rather than looks good :roll:
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

Did the other side today. Here´s what it looked like before:
Took out the rusted parts:
Makeing of the piece:
Getting ready to weld:
Done:
I have overlapping panels to save time, it doesn´t look as good as if they were flush but is strong enough and that´s what really matters.

Oh, I´ve put on the aux lights too (a week or so ago):
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Rusted out in 8 years? :shock:
It isn't always important for repairs to look good. Strength is important, I'm with you on that.

They have some stuff called weld-through zinc primer.
On my 4 door project, I wish I had used it on surfaces that overlapped.
So something protective would have been between the 2 layers of metal.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
coke

Post by coke »

Don't feel bad, in our state they use liquid calcium instead of salt. Its like pouring hot acid on the road and the effects on the vehicles is as such.
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

This truck was used by a contractor and probably not washed as often as it should have, it´s not normal with that much rust on a car less than 10yrs old.
Our Golf -98 is doesn´t have rust anywhere, but then again it´s really well taken care of.
I noticed that although it is a VW AEF engine in the Skoda it has a Lucas IP :shock:
I´ve heard nothing but really bad things about them, I tried to find info on the net but didn´t find anything of interest yet.
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

I´ve had a lot of fog/ice on the inside of the windows and now I´m searching for a leak...The floor is wet behind the drivers seat. The drains on the bed were clogged up so I suspect that the water has found a way to the cabin, but I don´t know where yet.
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

Oh man, more rust!!
Found the reason to the wet floor in the cabin:
The picture is taken from the rear of the bed, facing toward the cabin. Who knows how long the draining ducts on the bed has been clogged up, leaving water between the bed floor and the wooden bedliner?
I´ll post pictures of the patch I made tomorrow..
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

That has the potential to dump ALOT or water into the cab.
Glad you found the leak.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

The holes weren´t that big at first, more like airbubbles in the paint but you´re right, I have found THE leak :D
Didn´t get any pictures today, I got a small piece of metal in my eye when I was cutting out the rusted parts, had to go to see a eyedoctor :?
I did have protective glasses but that didn´t help much.
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

Here´s some pictures of todays work:
I made the new piece much higher up on the cabin wall than necessary just to have some extra protection from whatever junk I may have on the bed at times. The sheet is 1.5mm thick. I had to pound it to shape on the top, then I put RTV-sealant around it to be 100% sure it keeps the water out.
Next picture is after primer and paint, I´m going to sand down and paint the whole bed someday but I don´t know what paint to use yet. Something that doesn´t scratch easily...
Here´s how it looks right now, you can also see my next project for the car on this pic. I´m going to make a bed cover..
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

Picture of the bed cover, I ordered a dark grey but got a blue! The shop that made it were sorry, it was their mistake, and cut 50% off the price, that´s fine with me :lol:

This winter is really crappy, rain and 0-5 C every day. Normally in january we have 50cm of snow and -10 to -20 degC...
Good thing I got the cover though, now I can keep my stuff dry :D
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

Before:
:cry:

After:
:lol:
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

Today I have put in a orange glowplug-light that shows how long the GP´s have power.
Then I made a override switch in series with the wire coming from the coolant temp sensor that tells the relay how long to run power to the GP bus.
I put it in series to be able to switch it off when I start the engine, if I´d just disconnected the wire it would glow 30-40 seconds every time.
Normally, above 60C it doesn´t run the GP´s at all which probably was OK when the engine was new, but after 210 000km I had to crank it for 3-4sec before it fired up. I don´t like that...
Now I flip the switch and it fires up immediately :D
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

Update.
I changed one of the rear brake cylinders since it was leaking. I managed to get both allen bolts out and even got off the brake pipe w/out it twisting too much. That´s rare due to all the salt on the roads, the brakepipes rust and when you loosen the nut, the pipe gets twisted and starts to leak..
So this went surprisingly well, the brakes looked EXACTLY like the old Caddys. Why change a design that works well :lol:

I would like to make a plywood wall or something in the bed to make 2 separate rooms so to speak, one larger section for fuel cans and other greasy stuff and one clean section for grocery bags, backpack etc...
It needs to be easily removed or put away when I need to carry longer/larger items with me.
Any tips on how to make it is appreciated!
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I don't have any tips for making compartments.... but I can relate to twisting off brake lines when trying to remove them from the wheel cylinders,.... when I see them starting to twist, I start spinning the wheel cylinder it's bolted into instead of the nut.
Your truck is looking good, better all the time.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.