Caddy mk2

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

I was thinking something like this:

The red being the plywood or similar, the yellow circles shows where the cargo fastener things are.
I also could make a compartement that´s half the widht of the bed, but since I want to have the smaller compartement in the rear of the bed I haven´t come up with a good way to fasten it to the tailgate.
With half the widht I would have access to the whole lenght at any time which would be really good.

About the cylinder, I usually turn the nut back and forth to loosen it from the pipe, never thought of turning the cylnder instead!
In this case there were no room to turn it either since I didn´t remove the brake shoes or springs, just the cylinder.
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

I made the wall of 12mm plywood that slides in between the inner wheel wells and a few guiding plates that I welded on the side wall of the bed:

I also welded 2 "hooks" to the front end of the bed so I can roll back the cover when I want, with the hooks I can strap the rolled cover pretty tight against the cabin wall.
At first I planned to put the hooks on the front wall of the bed but between the outer and inner sheets there is something that burns really well, I was alone so I figured it would be safer to weld them to the side wall :lol:
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

I´ve made some progress again, I bought Recaro seats :lol:
Will they fit??

New mounting brackets on the way:

Here´s the result, looks original doesn´t it? The seat is a little bit too high in the rear and it´s also tilted outward, so I´ll have to make new brackets to the rear mounts..
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

I finally could take off the studded tires and put on my set of summer wheels, 6 1/2"-14" with 185/65-14 tires. I had them on my previous car, a Passat TD.
Looks really good, almost too wide in the front, I´ll post a picture when I get the truck washed.
Wet, muddy gravel roads+no mud flaps = dirty little truck :shock:
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

Not the greatest picture ever taken but the rims looks really great on the little truck :lol:
Fatmobile: I too have an exhaust leak, possibly in the down tube...
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

I went fishing and brought my caravan, it was a slow progress at the steepest inclines but the 1.9N/A is way stronger than the old 1.6 :D
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

While I think about the turbo set-up I tuned the Lucas IP a bit.
The adjustment is on the inside of the pump, I turned the max fuel screw half a turn.
This made the truck quicker than my previous car, a Passat TD eco-diesel, before I tweaked it.
There was some black smoke under WOT acceleration, this brings to mind the EGT. Would a bigger, free flowing, exhaust pipe lower the EGT on a N/A aswell?
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

My next step will be a lift of an inch or so.
I plan on using the old rear springs that i pulled from the Passat and in front I will use springs from a european Ford Granada mk2.
Both springs are 30mm longer than stock, I don´t know how much lift that will give, neither do I know if the longer springs fit on the stock strut, but I guess time will tell!
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
nysmketr
Glow Plug

Post by nysmketr »

coke wrote:Don't feel bad, in our state they use liquid calcium instead of salt. Its like pouring hot acid on the road and the effects on the vehicles is as such.
Liquid calcium is used here in NY city as well. Works wonders on major roads, though.

Thanks for the tip. I usually get my 09 TDI a chassis bath at the car wash when roads stay predominately dry.

May have to speed THAT up. Or increase it.