List Your Homemade VW Specialty Tools Here!!!!!!!!

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

DieselRcool wrote:Almost forgot my valve spring compressor. You can bolt it to the head while it's in the car. :D You can slide the handle along the horizontal rod to get to all eight valves. Great for doing in car valve seal replacement.

Anyone ever replaced the valve seals on the diesel with the head still on the car? My friend used to do it on the old gassers by either 1) putting compressed air into the cylinders, or 2) stuffing some nylon rope in there.

I'm curious as to how it would be done on a diesel: just bring it up to TDC for each piston and pop them out? Or would you have to run some compression into the cylinder and then use this tool?

Thanks for any/all replies.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Just put the given cylinder at TDC.

Andrew
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

tawney wrote: Here's what I found: a 1 inch black pipe cap works great after just a bit of careful grinding.

Nicely done. I made a pair for myself today, though mine ended up faceted more than round. I don't know how you got them so smooth with a grinder but you must have a steadier hand than I do... or you turned them on a lathe. But, they worked great to remove my old bearings. Getting the one on the timing belt side was a bit of a challenge though -- I flipped the seal carrier over to pull against, but the bearing still bumped into the seal carrier before full extraction. I finally ended up taking the carrier off and just yanking on the threaded rod a few times slide-hammer-style, and the bearing finally popped out. If that didn't work I was ready to go get some wood blocks to get more spacing.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

tawney wrote: Image
Another update on this tool... they worked great to remove my old bearings, but apparently I either drilled the holes in the pipe caps off center or ground the flanges improperly (or both) because I could not seat my new bearings straight. :( So it's off to the machine shop for me.

If you have a drill press, you should spin the pipe cap while grinding on it to ensure everything is concentric.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
rdezsofi
Glow Plug

Re: List Your Homemade VW Specialty Tools Here!!!!!!!!

Post by rdezsofi »

Looks like a long time since anyone posted anything? Below are 2 items. First is my intermediate shaft tool.....I've sold 23 so far on Ebay. The 2nd item is a prototype valve spring compressor I'm working on. Tests out great, need to fine tune it a bit. Went quite heavy duty on material. Stainless steel rods, etc. Leaves both hands free to play with those little keepers!

Intermediate Shaft Bearing Tool:

Valve Spring Compressor
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Post by CarlosA »

Nice overbuilt compressor. Having machinery really broadens our horizons when working on cars!

I would suggest a single rod, and a rod end with a jam nut to make the actual compression. I have done this and in your case it would cut down on shipping, materials, etc. Use drill rod, its finely ground and probably cheaper than stainless.
ad
Forum Historian

Post by ad »

Well I built an injector pop tester today. I put together this parts list so if anyone wants to do it they can easily. Total cost was just under $100.

There are many DIY pop testers out there, but most are made from bottle jacks and require modifying the jack by fully disassembling and welding. Although I have a welder, I wanted to put one together without the need for welding, so that almost anyone could do it. The pump I use here is only about $20 more than a bottle jack, and it prevents you having to dismantle and weld the jack.

Another benefit to using this pump is that there is a pressure relief valve built in (not visible in photos). So you can release pressure before removing an injector, its a nice feature, and safer/cleaner.

Here are the parts:
From Northern Tool:
144429 Torin Big Red Hydraulic Ram Pump — 10-Ton Capacity, Model# T71101 $44.99 + shipping

From McMaster:
1 5269K311 Metric Steel Compression Tube Fitting, Adapter for 6 mm Tube OD X 1/8" NPT Male Pipe
2 50925K343 Compact Extreme-Pressure Steel Thread Fitting, 3/8 Male X 1/8 Female Pipe Size, Hex Head Bushing
3 3845K23 Liquid-Filled Gauge, Plastic Case, 2-1/2" Dial, 1/4 Bottom, 3000 PSI
4 50925K345 Compact Extreme-Pressure Steel Thread Fitting, 3/8 Male X 1/4 Female Pipe Size, Hex Head Bushing
5 50925K198 Compact Extreme-Pressure Steel Thread Fitting, 3/8 Pipe Size, Female X Female X Male Tee

Total for these parts: $39.15

You will also need a 1/8" male x 3/8" Female pipe adapter ( the brass fitting between the T and pump)

You will need one additional part, that might be impossible to buy...I made mine. It is a pipe nipple threaded 1/8" male on one end M10 on the other.

I didnt know until I bought the pump that the filler end was not a standard pipe thread. But here is how I made mine: You need an M10 threading die, and 1/8" pipe nipple, approx 2" long. The die will almost fit right over the nipple, but you need to remove some material first in order to start the die. I have a lathe, mill, etc. But It can be done in a drill, drill press, with a grinder or file. Chuck the nipple and while its spinning touch it to a grinder or file it until you can get the die started. I think I removed about 0.020"

I suppose you could also drill out the center of a M10 bolt, and solder a pipe fitting on the other end if you dont have a tap/die.
This is the nipple that comes out of the pump on the fuel supply side (first pic).

Then you just need to attach a fuel reservoir of some sort to that. I used a soup can, soldered a fitting to the bottom, and connected it to a piece of flared 3/8" aluminum tubing. But anyone could do this with just rubber fuel hose as well. There is no pressure on the fuel supply side, so no danger there.

The good thing about this is that the pump is not modified at all, so I can also use it for its intended purpose if I ever want to by just unscrewing the fitting on the end.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1991 Jetta 1.6L N/A
Tac
Turbo Charger

Post by Tac »

Just thought this might help some one that wants to pressurize their tank for priming a new pump or for other reasons. You have to be careful not to put to much air in it. It could rupture. So use good judgement before doing this. Here is the video link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osLD0KaMC6M&feature=plcp

Tom
1991 Jetta 1.6 ME N/A.
Nevadan
Cetane Booster

Engine support to hold running 1.6 on engine stand

Post by Nevadan »

I needed a way to mount the engine on a stand and still be able to start it so I Sawzall'ed a bad tranny and can now mount the engine on a stand and start it!! There's a few custom made spacers to make it all align and I usually have supports from the engine mounts down to the engine stand for additional stability and stress relief (the engine's, not mine).

1985 Jetta 1.6 TD
1981 Caddy (getting a 1.6TD)
1987 Quantum Syncro Wagon, converted to 2.0 TD August 2020
1986 Passat TDI
2006 Touareg V10 TDI
1996 CHevy 6.5 TD
Tac
Turbo Charger

Post by Tac »

This is a vacuum pump I used to preprime oil in a new rebuilt 1.6 ME motor before the initial start of the motor. It's been dismantled and cut with a Saws all. The 2nd to the last picture is of the outside housing cut in half to let the drill accessible to the shaft. The last picture is the assembled tool ready to use. Use just the housing bolted to the block and the shaft. Then use a drill to spin the shaft and preprime the pump with oil before the first start of a new motor. Works great. The tool is North Central CT 3 miles from MA, 7 miles from Springfield MA. If any body that lives near there they are welcome to borrow it on a honor basis. Please feel free to email me.

Tom
Last edited by Tac on Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
1991 Jetta 1.6 ME N/A.
Ecodiesel
Glow Plug

Re:

Post by Ecodiesel »

I am new and just registered to ask a question on this great thread. I will be making one of these which is a great adaptation of cheap readily available parts. In order to pull the outer bearing, I believe I have to remove the oil pan. Is that all or do I need to remove anything else (such as crankshaft or rods) in order to install the puller to pull just the outer bearing?
tawney wrote:I've been jealous of Andrew's intermediate shaft bearing removal/installation tools since I saw his pictures of them; I had an engine completely dissassembled with the bearings removed, but no good way to re-install the new ones. I don't have a machinist friend, so I took my micrometer and started hunting for something that I could modify using my limited tools and skills. Here's what I found: a 1 inch black pipe cap works great after just a bit of careful grinding. It has a body diameter that is almost exactly the inside diameter of the larger bearing; the cap even has a flange at the end that's a slightly larger diameter. First thread a short piece of 1" pipe in the end; it works well as a handle while grinding/sanding the cap. (I used a high speed right angle grinder with a new grinding disc so I could get sharp, square edges at the inside corner where the diameter steps up.) Then grind the casting marks off of the body of the cap so the bearing slides over it easily, and carefully grind down the diameter of the flange so it is smaller than the inside diameter of the machined bearing surface in the block, then drill a hole in the end of it for the threaded rod. It takes a bit more grinding to make the one for the smaller bearing, but it's the same process, and for $6 and about an hour or less you'll have the tools you need to remove and install both the intermediate shaft bearings.

Nevadan
Cetane Booster

Intermediate shaft bearing replacement, another idea.

Post by Nevadan »

Found this while searching and it looks good.

A fairly simple idea using a piece of all-thread, washers and misc parts.

http://vwts.ru/forum/161986.html
1985 Jetta 1.6 TD
1986 Passat TDI
2006 Touareg V10 TDI
1996 CHevy 6.5 TD
Nevadan
Cetane Booster

Intermediate shaft bearing tool, perfect fit.

Post by Nevadan »

I've found the perfect PVC pipe fitting to install the intermediate shaft inner bearing. It's a 1 1/4" street elbow. I just sawed off the male end of the elbow, did a small bit of filing on the rough end and it fits PERFECTLY. No filing or "lathe" work is necessary on the part that holds the bearing. There's enough of a lip on the fitting to catch the bearing. If may even work to pull the old one out but I didn't test it since I'd already tapped them out with a brass punch.

See the previous posts for the all-thread, washers, etc. to fit it all up.

The washers need to be welded to each other so the rod remains centered at both ends.

1985 Jetta 1.6 TD
1986 Passat TDI
2006 Touareg V10 TDI
1996 CHevy 6.5 TD
Nevadan
Cetane Booster

Post by Nevadan »

Here's a better picture of the original PVC street elbow and the finished tool side by side.

Here's a 1 1/4" push/press by 1" threaded bushing that will work for the outer bearing. I didn't use it since I tapped out the bearing with a brass punch and installed it using the intermediate shaft as the tool.

1985 Jetta 1.6 TD
1986 Passat TDI
2006 Touareg V10 TDI
1996 CHevy 6.5 TD
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

PVC looks good.

(JFTR, the Russian pics shows the inner bearing mis-aligned, blocking the oil passage. )
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold