Pulling a cruise control from a gasser

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

Pulling a cruise control from a gasser

Post by hippiehulahooper »

I went to the junk yard today and found an 80's jetta with cruise control on the turn signal switch. I read some threads about taking a cruise control from a gas. So my question is what all is included in the cruise control system that I need to pull to put it on my 1.6?
90 Jetta chasis, NA mech. PS, AC.
parts needed:drivers side rain gutter, drivers side rocker panel and rear flare

86 Jetta TD(bottom end needs rebuild)
hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

Bentley cruise control system

got back to my bentley and it shows:

cruise control switch
steering column switches
vacuum vent valves
vacuum servo
throttle linkage
vacuum control motor
brake light switch
test connector
control unit
speed sensor
instrument cluster

Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

It won't fit so you better send it over here for a few bucks :cry:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I pulled the cruise out of the '86 TD Jetta I parted out this summer.
It looks like the gasser setup is the same as the diesel.
They both run off the back of the speedometer.
Everything is on it's own circuit,.. I think I had to cut one wire.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

second look

I pulled the cruise out of the '86 TD Jetta I parted out this summer.
It looks like the gasser setup is the same as the diesel.
They both run off the back of the speedometer.
Everything is on it's own circuit,.. I think I had to cut one wire.
can you tell me more?

I went back today to take another look and I found:

1. cruise control switch- I need to take the right socket to remove steering wheel. anyone know what size that is?

2. vacuum vent valves- they are on a plate above the foot pedals. Fatmobile do you take out the whole plate?

3. vacuum servo - was next to the vent valves. I'll need to look at it again.

4. throttle linkage- seemed to be connected to the accelerator pedal.

5. vacuum control motor- was under the hood. I couldn't get the back bolt out to remove the plate. the moter sits on the plate and is held down with 3-4 philips head screws.

6. brake light switch- I haven't found that yet. any ideas?

7. test connector- that will be with the control unit.

8. control unit- haven't found that yet. bentley says behind center console in passenger compartment for CIS-E fuel injection. Passenger side under instrument panel all others.

9. speed sensor-I found that. someone had already pulled the cluster. will that just screw into my cluster?

And the wire harness that plugs into the instrument cluster below the speed sensor. I grabbed that. someone had cut the wires. Will this just plug into the back of my diesel cluster?

Any idea what wire you had to cut?
And did you change any of the pedals? I didn't see how the throttle linkage was connected to the accelerator.

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

2. I think the vacuum vent valves unscrew from the peddle cluster,... and it looks like my '91 has the holes in the plate for them to screw into. You might need to figure out how to remove the metal clip they screw into and swap that along with the vents.

3. I saw the vacuum thing in the engine bay, way back in the corner near the driver.

4. not sure what you mean by that. On the ones I've seen there is a vacuum motor (not actually a motor, just a diaphram in a can,... called a vacuum motor) in the engine bay. Same vacuum motor as used in a diesel cruise only the wire connecting it to the accelerator lever is shorter.

5. Oh I see, not sure what a vacuum servo mentioned in 3 is.

6. brake light switch? You mean the thing that shuts off the cruise when you hit the brakes,... your car already has a brake light switch.

7. not sure about the test connector either. The control box is stuck in behind the center console... on the one I pulled... '86 Jetta TD.

8. see 7.

9. I think that should just screw to the back of your cluster.

I'm not sure about the wire harness that plugs into the instrument cluster, below the speed sensor. I have 2, 4 prong inline plugs that I don't know where they go. One is probably to the switch.

There is a red/black wire going into a 2-prong plug, actually 2 red/black wires going into the plug. One goes to the switches on the peddle cluster, one gets cut. The other wire going into that 2 -prong plug is a red/blue stripe.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

1. Steering wheel nut - I'm pretty sure it's 25mm (1 inch) but if I'm wrong then it's 24 mm (15/16 inch might work). I've pulled a number of VW wheels offf, Rabbit, Dasher, and Corrados, and they were all the same size.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

back to the junkyard today

well I went back to the junk yard today and someone took the cruise switch.
the vacumm vent valves and vacuum servo were down at the pedals and the it looks like I ned to take out the pedals for it to work on my set up. I still can't find the location of the control unit and I couldn't get out the vacuum control motor. so i am thinking of abandoning this conquest and ordering the set up from JC whitney.

The_Hamster
Glow Plug

Re: second look

Post by The_Hamster »

1. cruise control switch- I need to take the right socket to remove steering wheel. anyone know what size that is?
24mm
2. vacuum vent valves- they are on a plate above the foot pedals. Fatmobile do you take out the whole plate?
All the pedal clusters have the holes, however the threaded insert the actual valves/switches screw into are not there. They are very difficult to remove so just order them from the dealer. Will cost less than 10 bucks and it's worth it.
3. vacuum servo - was next to the vent valves. I'll need to look at it again.
Eh? They are on the IP or near the throttle on a gasser. You'll need to fabricate or locate a bracket to hold it in place on a diesel if you are using a gasser for parts. Or are you referring to servo as something else?
4. throttle linkage- seemed to be connected to the accelerator pedal.
On a gas there are two studs one on top and one on bottom, the bottom is for the cruise. On a diesel I have forgotten. I had a diesel with cruise and forget how it hooks up to the IP lever...
5. vacuum control motor- was under the hood. I couldn't get the back bolt out to remove the plate. the moter sits on the plate and is held down with 3-4 philips head screws.
The car is a mk2 VW? If so the pumps are under the overflow tank area, and held in with a plastic 10mm nut IIRC, if it's a mk1 I have never seen the cruise setup on a mk1.
6. brake light switch- I haven't found that yet. any ideas?
On a mk2 cruise it uses two switches with built in vacuum release valves, one on the clutch and one on the brake.
7. test connector- that will be with the control unit.

8. control unit- haven't found that yet. bentley says behind center console in passenger compartment for CIS-E fuel injection. Passenger side under instrument panel all others.
It's behind the center console on all mk2's I have seen. Just pull the center console and it's on the back of it with 2 screws holding it in.
9. speed sensor-I found that. someone had already pulled the cluster. will that just screw into my cluster?
On a mk2 there is a plastic peice you snap out and it drops in, screwed in with 2 tiny screws.
And the wire harness that plugs into the instrument cluster below the speed sensor. I grabbed that. someone had cut the wires. Will this just plug into the back of my diesel cluster?
For the speed sensor? It's just two wires that go straight into the sensor if you don't have MFA. With MFA it's more complicated.
hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

All the pedal clusters have the holes, however the threaded insert the actual valves/switches screw into are not there. They are very difficult to remove so just order them from the dealer. Will cost less than 10 bucks and it's worth it.
yep found them on mine.

went back to the junkyard today and pulled all the pieces except the turn signal lever with the cruise control switch because someone already swiped that. so I need that piece if anyone reading this has one.
Eh? They are on the IP or near the throttle on a gasser. You'll need to fabricate or locate a bracket to hold it in place on a diesel if you are using a gasser for parts. Or are you referring to servo as something else?
yep. this one had the bracket on the head with part of the servo, it was broke. guess someone put in a new complete one down by the accelerator pedal. I got both. I didn't get the pin in the pedal because there is no hole in my pedal for it.
On a gas there are two studs one on top and one on bottom, the bottom is for the cruise. On a diesel I have forgotten. I had a diesel with cruise and forget how it hooks up to the IP lever...
yeah I saw that. this particular car also had one on the accelerator pedal arm on the back behind that big magnet looking thing.
The car is a mk2 VW? If so the pumps are under the overflow tank area, and held in with a plastic 10mm nut IIRC, if it's a mk1 I have never seen the cruise setup on a mk1.
yeah I took off the plastic nut on the front and I couldn't see/ figure out the backside. then I saw a set up in the rain tray that had a plastic nut on the front and a plastic C clip over a barb on the back so I figured it out and popped it forward.
On a mk2 cruise it uses two switches with built in vacuum release valves, one on the clutch and one on the brake.
yeah I got those and found the brakelight switch on my set up with the extra holes.
It's behind the center console on all mk2's I have seen. Just pull the center console and it's on the back of it with 2 screws holding it in.
found it. someone had already pulled the center console and the control unit was in the backseat. I didn't know what it was at first. but I got it.
On a mk2 there is a plastic peice you snap out and it drops in, screwed in with 2 tiny screws.
got that

I only had to cut one wire like fatmobile said. now the question is how to get it all in my diesel and get it working? :D

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I found a cruise control turn signal lever for ya:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3700075
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

cruise control turn signal lever

bought! thanks Fatmobile you rock.
converting to wvo by april. looks like I am ordering a greasecar kit with the co-pilot computer and a 10 plate FPHE.
going to put a vacuum gage before IP.
and still need to figure out senders for my oil temp and pressure. and where I and going to put the volt.

duffer
Turbo Charger

Post by duffer »

So, are those control modules (behind the centre console)
interchangeable (gas to diesel)?

I ask because I need one of those and there's a guy on
VW Vortex (in New Jersey, I think) who has three of them
for sale.

I just wasn't sure if they'd be useable on a diesel.

If. so, I'll get one from him.

Thank you
Blue 1986 Golf N/A Bought it in '94. Never been on the road since.
Green 1991 Jetta TD. Bought it 6 months ago.
Hasn't been on the road since.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

The sensor on the diesel is the same as the sensor on the gasser (back of the speedo cluster).
Nothing is different but the way it connects to the injection pump.
I'm almost positive everything from a gasser will work.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

almost positive everything from a gasser will work

guess we'll find out with mine. the one I took off the gasser had the vacuum diaphram(which the bentley calls the vacuum servo)in two spots. one under the hood that was torn and bypassed for the other inside the cab by the vacuum vent valves to the right of the pedals. its arm pulled the back of the accelerator pedal. I was wondering if it would last longer located at the pedals as the rubber diaphram would not undergo the extreme temperatures as it would under the hood?