Has anyone explored this idea?

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Krank
Diesel Freak

Has anyone explored this idea?

Post by Krank »

I make BD using Canola oil. It's always a pain in the rear to dewater when it's so cold outside. Since I know water freezes at 32 f, and the canola doesn't gell until around 15-20 f, what would happen if I drained the excess water off the bottom of the cone, then waited for the temperature to drop to around 25 f in the tank? Would water crystals seperate out and go to the bottom? If so, I could then concievably heat it back up again to just over 32 and then drain once more to be done. Is it feasable?
'81 Rabbit N/A
'82 Audi 4000 Diesel (a vw in luxery clothing!)
danfromsyr
Glow Plug

sonds like Ice Brewing

Post by danfromsyr »

Sounds like ICE BREWING

The process of icing beer is done by bringing the temperature of a batch of beer down to at or below the freezing point of water (32°F or 0°C), the greatest constituent of beer. Because water freezes at a higher temperature than does alcohol, the water becomes frozen and the alcohol stays a liquid. Because of this, a layer of ice can be skimmed from the surface of beer (hence the name "ice" beer). This creates a concoction with a higher volume ratio of alcohol to water and therefore creating a beer with a higher alcohol content by volume