Car was running. I parked it 45 min... will not start

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

frayedknott
Glow Plug

Car was running. I parked it 45 min... will not start

Post by frayedknott »

2001 TDI vw jetta.

Was running great. Ingnition works, starter works, glow plugs are good, replaced the relay... checked all the fuses... everything is working....except the car!

It started this morning - no problem. I stopped at three stores, turned off the car and 45 minutes later go back into the car at each store... again - no problem the car worked. I drove it home and parked it in the driveway. Had lunch, went out to start it 45 minutes later and - it would not start.

I thought for sure it was the fuse to the glow plugs...but apparently they don't have that fuse in the 2001 model. (I need to update my knowledge!) I replaced the relay... no difference. I checked all the fuses... nothing. I have the block heater plugged in to ensure it is warm and toasty. It is outside 'cause I didn't think it would die at lunch time to be in the driveway. (It is only -22C now... it normally would start without the block heater at this temp!)

The car turns over, it cranks...just doesn't seem to have the "spark". I don't think it is fuel, as it was running terrific 45 minutes earlier. What am I missing on the electrical path?

Any clues?

thanks
frayedknott
ricosuave
Cetane Booster

Post by ricosuave »

Sounds to me like your 109 relay has bitten it.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=300195
Now: 00 Golf TDI, 03 Jetta Wagon TDI - :)
Then: 69 SC Transporter, 84 Rabbit GTI, 87 Fox GL, 91 Golf IDI, 97 Jetta IDI - :|
"Everything I save by driving diesel I put back due to poor German engineering and crappy Mexican workmanship!" :(