Leaky ip from cold start throttle...any hints?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Intharbuddy
Cetane Booster

Leaky ip from cold start throttle...any hints?

Post by Intharbuddy »

so I'm gonna try and take the injection pump off and replace the gasket at the cold throttle. From looking at a diagram it appears to not be that complicated compared to removing the top plate or other major can of worms locations. Is this right to assume? anyone have any experience with a leak from this spot?
Thanks, Niko.
messed up 81 rabbit pickup...but its purple.
85 golf
80 gasser pickup
mattbondy
Diesel Freak

Post by mattbondy »

It is very straightforward. The only suggestion I could make would be to mark the alignment of the lever and arm since there is only a spline. I replaced the torx head cap screws (I have no idea of how to properly refer to these) with regular socket head cap screws as I found I was stripping them left and right taking them off. I resealed both sides and replaced the big o ring at the distributor end. That o ring can be done on car but I like the idea of taking less of a risk by sitting the pump up. The main shaft seal is pretty easy too but I dont think you can get it anywhere except Bosch.
1986 NA diesel Jetta
- future societies will mine for precious oil beneath my parking spot
tawney
Turbo Charger

Post by tawney »

replace the gasket at the cold throttle
There's a larger O ring that seals the cover to the body, then there's a smaller one around the shaft of the cold start. Didn't know if it showed up in the picture you were looking at or not, but it's the one around the shaft that is probably the leaker.

If you can take the pump out and put it back, the O rings on the cold start will be simple.
81 Pickup 1.6NA; '86 Cabriolet with 1.6 TD
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

IMPORTANT SAFETY TIP: after you get the pump back on, replace the timing belt, and then set the timing you will want to turn the engine over by hand a couple of revolutions carefully, stopping if you hit any obstructions.

Turning it over by hand lets you discover an issue with a gentle clunk... turning it over with the starter reveals issues with an expensive bang !!
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

my inj pump is leaking as well, except i have zero time to pull it off and reseal it as im working at my store 7am to 8pm or sometimes later, I am going to dump 2 quarts of auto trans seal stop leak into my next tank of fuel and pray :?
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
Intharbuddy
Cetane Booster

thanks

Post by Intharbuddy »

I ordered the new gaskets from this place on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Diese ... enameZWDVW

I got a friend that switched his 81 1.6 rabbit to a quantum turbo so I think he be helpful. let you all know how it goes.
thanks, Niko.
85 golf
80 gasser pickup
FineFrank
Turbo Charger

Bosch DGK 121

Post by FineFrank »

The ebay guy is raping you. I get the DGK 121 gasket kit at my local bosch dealer for ten dollars and change. If you have a local guy to buy one from, go to him and you won't even pay shipping. Or call around and you could save nine dollars.
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

FineFrank wrote:The ebay guy is raping you. I get the DGK 121 gasket kit at my local bosch dealer for ten dollars and change. If you have a local guy to buy one from, go to him and you won't even pay shipping. Or call around and you could save nine dollars.
Indeed. I also think that his kits are not Bosch, but are made in China. I think I emailed him to figure out which Bosch part number he used, and he said they weren't Bosch.

Like Fine Frank, I bought my kits (DGK 126) at my local Bosch dealer/distributor for about $12-13 a set, and they're the real thing.
One W/the truckers
Glow Plug

Post by One W/the truckers »

Intharbuddy,
I just recently did the same job on my 86 Golf and this thread helped a lot.

viewtopic.php?t=6988&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60
Bill
86 Golf 1.6D (non-turbo)
95 Dodge 3500 5.9L Cummins
Intharbuddy
Cetane Booster

awsome pictures

Post by Intharbuddy »

hey one w/truckers, thanks so much for that link it seems like it'll be really helpful. I got the gasket kit today and think I'm just gonna use it. I know that there aren't any local bosch parts dealers in pittsburgh and I don't want to have to wait any longer to take care of this leak. maybe it'll kick me in the butt later but atleast I'll have the experience of dealing with it already under me belt.
thanks again everybody,
Niko.
85 golf
80 gasser pickup
mattbondy
Diesel Freak

Post by mattbondy »

I resealed with the ebay kit and have not had any sign of a leak. It has been about 6 months but I have no idea where pump leaked before (the p.o. gave it to me).
1986 NA diesel Jetta
- future societies will mine for precious oil beneath my parking spot
Intharbuddy
Cetane Booster

almost all better

Post by Intharbuddy »

a friend and I successfully took out and reinstalled the pump with a new gasket at the cold start. We replaced the timing belt and tensioner while we were at it. It all went really well. The only thing left now is to mess with the pump timing a little bit more cuz it does smoke and stall a lot more when first starting up.
Thanks for the help everybody.
Niko.
85 golf
80 gasser pickup
Intharbuddy
Cetane Booster

looking for the timing tool

Post by Intharbuddy »

does anyone know of the cheapest place to buy the pump timing tool with the cam plate and wheel pin? I found one for about $80 incl. shipping.
seems like a worth while tool to have around.
Thanks, Niko.
85 golf
80 gasser pickup
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

You can get by with common household items for the IP and cam tools. Search the forum and you will see what others have come up with to use (they may be in the tools thread too). The IP timing tool is a nice item to have, or you can hillbilly tune it by ear if you want. Either way works, but the tool will get you to what the book and manufacturer recommends.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

hillbilly tune it by ear worked great for me, just a little nailing as you pull up to the drive threw window is perfect. This also results in just a few misfires during the first 5 seconds on a 50F cold start with handle pushed in.
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG