3rd Generation Diesels

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

JRM
Turbo Charger

3rd Generation Diesels

Post by JRM »

Been digging around for 2008+ diesel engines in VW's Honda's, even Toyota all plan to bring diesels to market over the next 5 years!
Even though this is a honda, anyone with DSL or cable will enjoy this very detailed video:
http://world.honda.com/HDTV/news/2003-4030226_1a/
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

hmm, i know this is a diesel board, but im sure everyone here will respect this:
http://world.honda.com/fcx/
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

There's lots to like about the new Honda diesel. Like no urea injection and low compression which means good cold starts. It looks like a good motor for the mini van a little big for a car. Those cylinders are so close its hard to say if it could ever be bored out. There seems to be a lot of expensive equipment on this engine. Too scaring for me.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

surfcam wrote:There seems to be a lot of expensive equipment on this engine. Too scaring for me.
I thought the same thing and commented to a friend of mine that I sent the links posted above for him to view. With ever increasing strict emissions laws being forced on everything and getting tougher all the time, engines are going to get increasingly more complex and costly to repair. Just wait until your lawn mower has to have a catyletic converter on it and then wait until states start requiring that they be registered and pass emissions laws. Don't laugh. I'm sure it's coming someday. In 1960, who would have guessed that in 20 years you would have needed a certification from a government agency that allows some aftermarket carburetor or headers to be installed on your own car.

While we're on future things, I think there will be a day when your car will come with some box on it and after you get to x miles in a certain period of time, this box will disable your car from running and you'll have to limp it home and wait until you time period has expired so you can drive your car more. There will likely come a time when cars have mileage restrictions and when the time's up, they stop running.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
FineFrank
Turbo Charger

Post by FineFrank »

Those cylinders are so close its hard to say if it could ever be bored out.
I believe they mean 3mm separation between cylinders, if I understand correctly. In the pic right after the 3mm statement, it looks like the cylinders have a lot more meat between them than 3mm.
Even so, engines like this are very difficult to reman because of their already tight tolerances.
mattbondy
Diesel Freak

Post by mattbondy »

surfcam wrote: Like no urea injection and low compression which means good cold starts.
Low compression means good cold starts? I thought that was one reason the IDI engine has such a high compression ratio.
1986 NA diesel Jetta
- future societies will mine for precious oil beneath my parking spot
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I didn't fully explain myself. The Honda is a direct injection engine. Plus fuels going in a 1600 bar. Kind of a fog which is better for self ignition. The low compression allows the engine to spin over faster. You need about 750 rpm for a diesel to start. The glow plug is right in the combustion chamber not a perchamber. It has a fancy turbo which packs the cylinder with a high combustion ratio. No need for 22 to 1. I've seen direct injection engines start in the morning when they weren't pugged in at -30C. Mine wouldn't think about starting at that temperature. For the money I still think the 1.6TD is the best game in town.
94 Grand Caravan
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

82vdub wrote:Just wait until your lawn mower has to have a catyletic converter on it and then wait until states start requiring that they be registered and pass emissions laws. Don't laugh. I'm sure it's coming someday.
It's already on it's way. Already you'd be hard-pressed to find a new L-head lawn mower engine, they've all gone to OHV to meet emissions requirements. It's not a question of if but when cats will be required. You can also expect 2-stroke engines on leaf blowers and chainsaws etc to become extinct.

At some point I expect all these emissions requirements will make electric yard equipment so much cheaper than gas powered that only professionals or those with plenty of disposable income will own gas.

Me, I'm ready for a diesel lawn mower. Where do I get one?! I'm perfectly willing to plug it into the wall to run the glow plugs and the starter, then unplug it and go cut grass.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

"Just wait until your lawn mower has to have a catyletic converter on it"
My new pressure washer has a Honda OHC GC160 engine on it and it indeed does have a cat! Glows bright red when I was pressure washing at dusk!
Bottom right of page 12 on this PDF:

http://www.honda-engines.com/Engines_ow ... Z8A000.pdf
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I knew years ago there was talk about it, but I haven't bought a new piece of lawn equipment in years. It will only get worse. Government regulation never gets ligher or cheaper.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
mattbondy
Diesel Freak

Post by mattbondy »

I probably should have taken a look at the link (if I only I did not have dial up...).
1986 NA diesel Jetta
- future societies will mine for precious oil beneath my parking spot
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

There's no such thing as emissions inspection in red neck Alberta. If your car is 15 years old your insurance company will require a very small inspection. It mostly lights and brakes. After one inspection as long as you stick with the same insurance company you don't ever haft to get another one. There's trucks running around with no box on the back. Cars with no hood and a blower sticking out. They also have a figure eight track in Fort Macleod called the World of Fear where the nut bars try and write them self off.
94 Grand Caravan
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

Acura diesel, most likley in a small SUV

http://world.honda.com/news/2008/408011 ... es/02.html
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

and a accord diesel soon

http://world.honda.com/Diesel/
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
Pup Tentacle
Cetane Booster

Post by Pup Tentacle »

The Hatz 1B30, when it was new, could be rope started @ -10F (did it once, have used the electric starter since). Per the manual you pull the rope through one complete rotation to set the compression release. Then bring it up to compression and pull like heck. It's a Direct Injection Diesel with no glow plugs or other heating devices. Popped the first time, blew white smoke till it warmed up. I was impressed. When new it met the CARB specs for emissions. Simple engine, real easy on fuel. Leave it to those darned Germans.

Pup
85 Golf NA 1.6L
85 Jetta Turbo 1.6L
83 Chevy C10 NA 6.2L
88 Chevy Suburban NA 6.2L
94 Chevy K1500 Turbo 6.5L
Hatz 1B30 powered Log splitter