Chirping A/C belt

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

crankpot
Cetane Booster

Chirping A/C belt

Post by crankpot »

What the heck...tightened it ip today and squeaking again. Whats the secret for quiet?

bob
1981 Caddy diesel 119K with working r12 A/C!
Freshly rebuilt engine .020 over, rebuilt 4 speed recently converted to a FN 5 speed, new control arm, ball joints, steering rack, engine mounts, clutch, clutch cable,flywheel, all brakes, brake cylinders, wheels, tires, Audiovox cruise control, HID Headlights, LED instrument lights.

Bob Jupiter, FL
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

This is what the fix was on my old '81:
- http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/CheapTri ... #ACbracket

I could tighten mine and within a day the belt would be chirping again. As noted above, it was a broken bolt at the base of the A/C compressor bracket that was my problem.

And for tightening the belts, what I used was a piece of wood across the engine bay, one end on the strut tower (As the fulcrum) and the other end lifted by my HiLift jack. Then I wrapped a strap down under the alt. and over the piece of wood. Then by lifting a few clicks on the jack, that would tension the strap, lift the alt. and pull the belts tight. Then just snug down on the adjuster bolts and it held quite well.
Last edited by VWCaddy on Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I have a short piece of wood that I keep around that I use with a floor jack to push up on the AC compressor to get the belt tight. It's a bugger to do, but I've never had issues with it coming loose on me.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
crankpot
Cetane Booster

Post by crankpot »

Thanks all for the replies. Still messing with it......

Bob
1981 Caddy diesel 119K with working r12 A/C!
Freshly rebuilt engine .020 over, rebuilt 4 speed recently converted to a FN 5 speed, new control arm, ball joints, steering rack, engine mounts, clutch, clutch cable,flywheel, all brakes, brake cylinders, wheels, tires, Audiovox cruise control, HID Headlights, LED instrument lights.

Bob Jupiter, FL
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

crankpot wrote:Thanks all for the replies. Still messing with it......

Bob
For sure check those two bolts at the bottom of the A/C compressor/bracket. That is where mine was broken. Details on the web page posted above. I did not figure this out for a few years and even had a VW dealer shop "fix" it once (don't think they did anything). Finally tore things down and found the root cause of the problem.
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
Homer T. Coyote
Cetane Booster

Post by Homer T. Coyote »

One thing I am going to do when I transplant the TD into my Caddy is try and swap in the new serpentine belt system. One might also swap to the Jetta v-belt setup w/ the adjusting bolt.
85 Jetta 1.6 TD
(2) 81 Caddy gassers