Buying a 98 Jetta TDI

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

82vdub
Turbo Charger

Buying a 98 Jetta TDI

Post by 82vdub »

I have a friend that took a job 50 miles from town and wanted to spend less than $5k on a diesel. He's owned VW diesels in the past and wanted one again. Anyways, he called last night and asked if I would like to go along this am with him to inspect one. He filled me in on the details on the way down.

The 98 Jetta had 154k on it and was in pretty decent mechanical shape. The timing belt had gone, so the mechanic that got it from the PO fixed it replacing the timing belt and tensioner (VW guys know to replace these when doing a timing belt) and completely redid the head with new valves, guides, followers, etc. Ran and drove like a top with the turbo spooling up nicely. The underside is starting to show some rust, since this is in Wisconsin. The rear drivers side door is rusted out at the bottom on the inside of the door and the fuel filler area was all rusted out. Neither of these shows much on the outside of the vehicle at this time though, it's all hidden from direct view. There were some rust spots on the floorboards that were still solid, and the rockers had some rusty areas on them, but were solid as were the shock towers.

Other than the obvious body/rust issues that will soon be more issues down the road, I thought that this was a damn nice car for what he was asking - $4k. My friend offered $3800 and the guy took the offer. Too bad he took the car, because if he hadn't, I would have seriously considered getting it. I thought my friend got a good deal for what seemed to be available locally in the past few weeks. I just couldn't resist bragging about his purchase here.............
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

I'll bid 4200! Not really, I want a tdi beetle. Does that make me fruity? Is a New Beetle a chick car?
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

As far as i'm concerned, the best car vw ever built. Last full year of production for that platform so all the problems were figured out and after that their productionn values dropped off.
1971 super beetle

1990 t3 transporter 1.9na