where to buy auto paint?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Hexar
Cetane Booster

where to buy auto paint?

Post by Hexar »

Hi guys,
there are lots of rust spots on my rabbit, and I bought a angle grinder and started to grind the rust out to the bare metal. I am thinking after that, I will repaint the car.

Question is: where should I buy paint? Dealers? or regular parts stores? Will a regular parts store know/match VW's color code?

Thanks!
Hexar
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

You need to find a local auto parts store that mixes automotive paint. You should be able to call around and find one locally that deals with paint. They should be able to match any color code or custom blend a color to match your paint. A little tip for you, research eliminating rust before painting. If you leave little rust spores behind, your new paint job will bubble in short order.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Hexar
Cetane Booster

Post by Hexar »

82vdub wrote:You need to find a local auto parts store that mixes automotive paint. You should be able to call around and find one locally that deals with paint. They should be able to match any color code or custom blend a color to match your paint. A little tip for you, research eliminating rust before painting. If you leave little rust spores behind, your new paint job will bubble in short order.
Thanks 82vdub!
I will call some local parts stores to find out. :)

For eliminating rust, what is the best way? I read that I can use Phosphoric acid solutions, is this the best/easiest?
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I'm not a body man, and years ago when I tried to do body work, I quickly came to the realization that I shouldn't mess with it. Rust is a bugger to eliminate because if you leave one spore, it will all come back. There are many ways of removing rust, from sandblasting, acid, to other chemicals. There are plusses and minuses with each kind. This is something that you need to research and make the determination yourself on what you want to do. I prefer to leave this to professionals, since I always found that I did the work and spent the money to fix it, to only find it comes back. I'm not saying that you can't do it, but I'm saying it's not necessarily as simple as grinding and painting. It could be, but may not be.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

A word of caution, that angle grinder can easily overheat the sheetmetal and warp it. This would be why I had to replace the hood on my '79.

Know anyone who wants a 79 hood with nice dimples?
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I have come across a cheap alternative at NAPA that I haven't fully investigate yet. There selling a gallon of polyurethane paint for 50 bucks. You also need thinner and hardier as well which aren't expensive. The catch is it only comes in a limited amount of colors and no matching. It might be the way to go if your thinking of blasting your whole car. I think they have red to make your car go faster.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
Hexar
Cetane Booster

Post by Hexar »

Thanks guys!

82vdub, I am no body man for sure... and I hate stuff that requires evenness... but it is a good project to learn.

bscutt, I think by "overheat" the metal, you mean turn the metal into black color? I have seen that, it is like burnt...

surfcam, thanks for the tip, I will check out NAPA, although I like black more. :p :)
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Basically don't let the metal get too hot to touch or it will warp.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

you should have a random orbit sander or a dual action sander and some sand paper to help after the big rust is gone. I use a chemical that is called something like extend naval jelly and extend rust eater that turns to black primer, LPS dot 3 all of which do well to control rust. Use your time and patience and you'll have good results...or should :D
BTW I sell 3M sanders and sandpaper, better than what you'll pay at the hardware :D Maybe the shipping might hurt though :lol:
Greenmachine
Diesel Freak

Post by Greenmachine »

You can easily get all the rust with your grinder then follow it with finer and finer grades of sandpaper using blocks to keep it even and get it smooth. Unless the pits are too deep. You can still get those clean but may need filler later. Generally don't use rougher than 80 grit on your discs. Time consuming but don't be intimidated.

Just take your paint code to a good paint shop and get decent auto paint. The really good stuff (read easier to use and get good results) is expensive but the middle road gets you quality paint at a decent price. I just pain $35 for a quart of some nice royal red for my truck.

To kill rust permanently try POR-15. It is awesome stuff. Especially on areas that are not going to show, you can just brush it on with minimal prep. You can paint over it with the correct primer and prep too. Then your metal is essentially rust proof for the rest of your natural life.

This forum has a ton of great info when it comes to painting a VW:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=13

Read a lot before doing anything drastic!