81 diesel truck

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

beleive
Cetane Booster

81 diesel truck

Post by beleive »

just bought a 81 rabbit truck,question is what size is the engine?Have no info on it,and who makes a bolt on turbo for it?Thanks
Im brick mason,have loving wife and two awesome boys,and a risen savior
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: 81 diesel truck

Post by 82vdub »

beleive wrote:just bought a 81 rabbit truck,question is what size is the engine?Have no info on it,and who makes a bolt on turbo for it?Thanks
The factory engine is a 1.6L mechanical lifter style engine. VW made turbo versions of this engine and I believe Callaway made aftermarket turbos for these diesels as well (they did for gas versions). Other turbo's may fit etc, but not sure on this. I would suggest you search this forum for adding a turbo to a non turbo (NA) engine. There are pro's and con's to adding a turbo to a non turbo engine. Nothing major or severe, but just so you know what you can do and it's limitations without adding the oil squirters etc.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
nicknack2
Diesel Freak

Post by nicknack2 »

hey fist of all WELCOME to the forum...most likely you have a 1.6 N/A(natural aspired, which means non-turbo) diesel engine, if that is the original engine, there is not such thing as "bolt-on" Turbo that you can "safely" instal as there is some minute diffrences on the 1.6 TD(turbo diesel) and the N/A 1.6 engine like different type of valves, oil squirters, intake, ete etc. read the forum there is tons of info on this topic use the search feature it helps alot. :idea:
'85 Jetta, 06' Jetta, 01' Duramax
Brewing BD, using it @ B40
"NAV"